It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, October 20, 2017

Chapter 10, Page 20, Book 17


The years teach much which the days never knew.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m not sure why, but it seems that the older I get the more confusing life gets. Just when I think I've got it all figured out the rules change once again. Some rules seem to be foolish and there are cases where no exception can be made even when an exception is justified.  

Rules are like a guide or compass that makes life straightforward and easy enough to manage.  The basic idea is that if you follow the rules, you will be safe and have opportunity for a good life. Life would be dangerous, frightening, and simply crazy without some guidelines to show us the way forward. 

The sad truth is that just about the time I think I know the rules, they change.  They say that with age comes experience. With experience comes wisdom. With wisdom comes the chance to gain insight into choices you made, and perhaps come to different decisions in the choices you’ll make.


In my case I’m trying to stick to the rules but make exceptions...


The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. 

Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

4 comments:

betty said...

The rules do change, but I think we do have the wisdom because of our age to see that they have changed and then try to adapt to them the best we can. So much is happening so fast these days, its hard to keep up with it all.

betty

Chatty Crone said...

You know what I feel - I feel I use to understand things and people and now I am just plain dumb! I don't know anything!

Mevely317 said...

Yours is a good philosophy, Ma.

In a way, this reminds me of the TSA. Leaving Birmingham last year, we were standing by a sweet elderly couple. She'd been feeling poorly so her hubby went and bought a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Not even opened, but it was more than the allowable 3 oz. so of course, the agent confiscated it.
I'm all about National security, but I wonder if those agents feel the slightest remorse in cases such as this?

TARYTERRE said...

truer words never spoken. "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. "