It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Chapter 8, Page 5, Book 17


There’s only so long you can hold the beach ball under water

Donald Yacktman

Life’s a beach!


Think about the fun that a beach ball can bring. This large, light, inflatable ball can be batted around, used as a kickball, or launched into the wind to see how far it will go. One think that you cannot do with a beach ball, however, is to play with it under water. The buoyancy of a beach ball means that while you can, with great effort, momentarily hold it under water, it will quickly rise to the surface.



Someone once told me that feelings are like a beach ball. Each time we have a feeling we don’t deal with, it is like trying to push the beach ball under the water in the swimming pool. Each new feeling we don’t acknowledge pushes the beach ball down further. Eventually it takes our whole strength and energy to keep the beach ball suppressed. Then eventually something little happens, and it pops out. You never know for sure when it’s going to pop out, but you know it will someday!  Unfortunately, it tends to hit the people we love the most, our wives or husbands, our children, our best friends,  who least deserves our wrath. They become the collateral of the beach ball effect.


From time to time we are going to shove the beach ball of our emotions down. The goal is to be aware of that fact. When you sense you have something on your beach ball, try to put a name on it. It might be anger, disappointment, envy sadness, or hurt. Each time you name the feeling, it lets a little pressure off the beach ball. The beach ball can begin to come up a little bit and those we love don’t get hit in the face when they are least expecting it.

Between you and me, we try to keep lots of things under wraps. We try to keep our hurts at bay, pushing down the stuff that seems too tough to work through. 

We all have those beachballs in our lives , but whatever the size or shape, once it is released we can celebrate the buoyancy of life.  


You can't drown your sorrows, they always float to the surface. 

Anonymous

6 comments:

jack69 said...

What a unique comparison, but very life like. I have never heard nor read that analogy. Good entry over all. Love from Virginia!

Carol Z said...

Great analogy. I especially found this with loneliness. When I could admit that I was lonely, I could do something about it. I also realized that we're all lonely at one time or another. Wishes for a great weekend.

betty said...

That is a good analogy about the beach ball. I think in the future I'm going to try to make sure my beach ball keeps floating above the water rather than it sinking under as I attach things to it that shouldn't be there.

betty

Chatty Crone said...

My grandson had to read The Scarlett Letter over summer. Hester the adulter leaned to accept what she did and let the sin surface and forgave herself - Dimmsdale kept the secret inside and it killed him early. Sandie

Mevely317 said...

I adore this analogy! Immediately, I thought of DH, who's prone to stifling his feelings. But hey, I've been right there as well. And when feelings erupt, is usually not pretty.

Now, I'm thinking I'm going to buy an inexpensive beach ball for the sheer joy of watching it bob along the top of the pool.

TARYTERRE said...

i too like the beach ball analogy. here's hoping we can get it under control.