It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Chapter 7, Page 8, Book 17



If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way mom told you to in the beginning.

Author Unknown

wisdom from mom

As moms we try to teach our children the best way to live and make their lives a little easier than we had it.  I hope to have instilled a lot of wisdom into the hearts of my children, and have seen the results which make me feel like just maybe I did some good.  It warms my heart when people say, your son is such a good man and a good father or that my daughter is such a kind and loving person.

I was known as one of those mean moms when my children were growing up.  I didn’t mind at all when they said that I was mean.  I’d rather be call a mean mom than a pushover.  If you are not mean from time to time, you just aren’t doing it right.

I made them take responsibility.  If they broke something, they had to clean it up, I made them accountable for their actions.

I’d give them plenty of space and time to use their imaginations.  I didn’t have to entertain them.  One of the blessings of a large family was that they always had someone to play with.  They’d dress up and put on plays, build things with paper and glue and play games of their own making. They spent plenty of time outside too, not in front of the TV.  Fresh air and sunshine are important.

I made sure they had what they needed but when it came the extra things they had to work to get the money for them.   You learn to appreciate what you have a lot more when you have to work for it.  

 At the age of 3 even the youngest could help to set the table.  Everyone had a job to do because that is what being a part of family means.  Many hands will get the work done faster than doing it all by yourself.

Just because everyone was doing it, whatever it was, didn’t mean that my children could do it.  Whatever worked for another, was not always going to work for my family.  We should never let what others are doing determine what we do.

I taught my children how to pray and have faith in God.  I taught them to be respectful and to have dignity and integrity.  Being a mean mom is a lot of work but then nothing good ever comes easily.

My family learned a lot and so did I.  Most importantly my family taught me the true meaning of unconditional love.  I loved being a mom and having a large family was a blessing. Still is for that matter. 

We need to remember those important things in life and when we do we find that faith, family and friends will always get us though this life in the best way possible.


3 comments:

betty said...

I think you've done a great job raising your family, Ma! You knew what values were important to teach and you made sure those were taught and learned by your children. I think the most important one we can teach them is about God and Jesus. I remember hearing a sermon one time that if you don't teach your kids anything else, make sure you teach them about Jesus.

betty

TARYTERRE said...

You have a lovely family. I'm sure they appreciated having boundaries growing up. And that's what they are now teaching their children.

Mevely317 said...

I used to think my mom was pretty mean, too. Years later, my best friend confided (that) she wished her own parents cared that much.