It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, July 24, 2017

Chapter 7, Page 23, Book 17


We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.

 Bill Watterson

Live life to the fullest each and every day.


Forever is composed of nows.

 Emily Dickinson

No doubt where I am in this stage of life has something to do with my focus on the future rather than the past. So far this year, I’ve had to downsize and move to a smaller place.  It’s all on one floor and there is much less that I need to do and take care of.

 My future is shorter than my past as I’ve probably lived three quarters of my life, maybe even more. No one knows the number of one’s days except God, but I’m confident that my number of days remaining on this earth is fewer than the number I’ve lived already, unless God chooses to make me the oldest woman alive.

I’ve  come to grips with the reality that I'm facing a shorter future, so I’m trying to prepare for it.  As the number of years has continued to pile up, as I’ve watched others even younger than me face death, as my knee hurts sometimes, my hair gets thinner, and I forget things I never used to forget, I can no longer ignore the reality that I won’t live forever. There is no guarantee that I’ll be here tomorrow. Furthermore, it’s mostly out of my control.


We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives.

Maya Angelou

I’ve decide that I might as well make peace with the future since no amount of fear, discomfort, anxiety, or need to conquer the unknown will change the fact that the unknown is exactly that, unknown and unknowable.

I continue to be thankful for each and every day and count my blessings because I know I’m not the one in control of the universe.  I trust and believe in the good Lord who holds the future in His hands and does a much better job of it than I could ever do.

I’ve learned to live in today, to be thankful and trust a trustworthy God.


Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

betty said...

It is humbling to realize we are on the shorter timespan in our lives. I just ponder how it went so fast! Now to truly enjoy the time we still have left.

Betty

TARYTERRE said...

We are all in the same boat. "I’ve come to grips with the reality that I'm facing a shorter future, so I’m trying to prepare for it. "

Mevely317 said...

These words! ... and that of a dear friend: "When I realized that I've more yesterdays than tomorrows" - were instrumental in making the decision to walk away from my job after the first of 2018. (God willing!)
... Scary (to) turn my back on a solid salary and amazing benefits package. But I hope I'm walking towards peace of mind.

jack69 said...

Oh yes my dear, you are so right. We have less days in our future than our past. I had never thought of it in that manner. Thanks, it is a good reality. I do not fear the end, but I want to be 'living' when it comes!