It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, July 10, 2017

Chapter 7, Page 10, Book 17


Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world.

Ada Louise Huxtable

Keeping it cool!


Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.
 Russell Baker

The summer heat is in full swing and it’s important ant to be mindful of how the heat can be a dangerous threat to our health.  They say staying hydrated is needed.  If you don’t drink lots of water and beverages like fruit juices you can start to have symptoms like headaches and tiredness.  It can lead to heat exhaustion and heatstroke.  When it’s hot we sweat more and are losing liquid from our body, meaning you need to drink more to stay hydrated.


Keep cool; anger is not an argument. 

Daniel Webster

Hot days certainly take  a toll on our bodies but they can also test our tempers.  We can get hot under the collar, cranky, when it’s hot out for sure. We tend to blow off a lot steam when there is no relief from the heat.  

It’s best to take a time out, clear your head, before you loose your cool.  A nice cold drink of water can help too.  If you feel like you’re to the boiling point is a good thing to remove yourself from the situation before you boil over.

Whether its physically or mentally, the heat does affect us so we need to keep our cool. Some days are harder than others,  still I do love summer.  We just have to practice ways to beat the heat.  There is keeping cool and there is keeping your cool.  

I remember those days before air conditioning when we’d take a trip in the car.  We all got hot and sticky riding for any length of time.  That’s the way I’ve been feeling as the a/c in my car died and there have been days, I’ve just stayed home rather than trying to go out. Hence all this advice about keeping cool.  

Thankfully I have lots of shade here and an air conditioner that keeps the house cool when it heats up.  I have decided that since there will be plenty more hot days coming I’m going to get the a/c in the car fixed.  I experienced a bit of slow burn when I found out how much that is going to cost.   I certainly hope it will worth it.


Remember:

Practice easing your way along...Do your best; take it as it comes. You can handle anything if you think you can. Just keep your cool and your sense of humor. 

Smiley Blanton

4 comments:

betty said...

Its almost like the repair people know that you are going to want your A/C fixed and I wonder how much they overcharged during summer compared to other times of the year. A friend had $830 repair for her A/C and 2 days later it went out again. Thankfully, of course, the repair people are working on correcting the problem.

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I certainly hope the air conditioner in your car gets fixed promptly. Seniors need to stay cool. I'm sure it will be worth it. Good luck.

Mevely317 said...

Amen! When I first moved to Phoenix, I was a bit surprised how seriously my company takes the subject of heat exhaustion/stroke and the need to stay hydrated. Because it's normally so arid, visitors are fooled into thinking it's not "all that hot" or, that it's necessary to carry water ... and they wind up on the evening news. In fact, two families today - including a 4y/o - had to be rescued from Camelback mountain.

I remember, as a kid, my parents summer road trips from New Mexico to Florida ... without air conditioning. I don't know HOW they did it; or for that matter, how folks lived out here before air conditioning was invented. Gimme a snow storm any day ... LOL!

jack69 said...

Oh yes, it is hard for the youth to understand that A/C has not always been in schools and houses. We are definitely spoiled. I do love the cool. But I found the one day we spent in Florida as long as I stayed outside and worked it was tolerable, but go inside to 73 degrees and it sure feels good!

Yep Summer is here, full power/