It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Chapter 5, Page 30, Book 17



With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts

Eleanor Roosevelt

Don’t let the majority rule
A lie doesn’t become truth, wrong doesn’t become right, and evil doesn’t become good just because it’s accepted by a majority.

 Rick Warren

It’s popular to take a vote and let the majority rule.  But there are things in our life that we must keep sacred and true.  There are times when we must think for ourselves and be true to our own beliefs.  

When it comes to what I do or think, there are very few times in my life that I’ve gone along with the majority of what people think. I haven’t followed the crowd. I’ve always tried to be my own person and haven’t always been the most popular person either.  


Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

 Mark Twain

Thinking about the basic standards I've set for myself, it’s impossible for me accept a lot of the things that the majority of people think of as acceptable today. I’m guided by the principles, that when followed, promote values such as trust, good behavior, fairness, and kindness.   Neither consensus nor majority rule works when people are only out for themselves.  Love isn’t selfish.



The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.

Harper Lee

4 comments:

betty said...

These days I don't go a lot with what the majority thinks and does. It does pay to be independent in our thinking and our decision making, even if that makes us unpopular with others as long as we remain true to ourself and our beliefs.

Betty

Mevely317 said...

Gosh, your second paragraph? How self-assured you must have been at an early age, not to fear what others think. (Props!)

While I've always had my own, sometimes-unpopular opinions, it's taken me a long time to walk my talk. 'Glad to have arrived, but wish it hadn't taken me so long!

Rick Watson said...

This is another good one. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

TARYTERRE said...

Thinking for yourself is the most important thing you can do. "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."