It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Chapter 5, Page 10, Book 17


With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts

Eleanor Roosevelt

The Tried and True

One we discover how to appreciate the timeless values in our daily experiences, we can enjoy the best things in life. 

Harry Hepner

The definition of tried and true refers to something that has been tested, or that has been used in the past and worked well and which is trusted.

We all face tough decisions everyday.  I've encountered  circumstances which test my patience, my character and my peace of mind. For me, it’s the tried and true values which guide me and shape my priorities and reactions.

When our actions and words are aligned with our values, life is generally good and we feel content, confident and satisfied.

The following list of  values are the most important for me to live by and the ones I want to pass along.  There are tried and true  methods that are still as effective today as they once were.

Caring

We need to care for others as well as ourselves.  Someone who cares will ask you how your day is. They want to know what you’re doing; they want to know if something significant has happened in your life. You don’t have to talk to them all the time, but when you do see them, they will want to know how you are. Not out of some sort of obligation, but because they genuinely want to know. Caring means sharing.

 Commitment. 

Commitment shows loyalty and it can show bravery and tenacity as well. A commitment is a promise made and an expectation we have created. Honoring our commitments can make the difference between achieving what’s most important to us or feeling disappointed and defeated.  Commitment means you've promised to stay and work it through, not just today but all the days.

Forgiveness

When you forgive, you are better able to let go of the past and keep moving forward with your life. Through forgiveness, you can move away from the pains of the past.

Gratitude

 It is with a grateful heart that helps me to see so much abundance in my life. My value of gratitude reminds me that what I have today can be taken away tomorrow.

Love

The presence of love in our life, the love we have for our families, our friends, our faith and for ourselves, is the single most important source of light and energy we can tap into when we have the need to be filled up; or when we see the need to fill someone else up with grace, hope and our love.  Love brings us joy and also empowers us to do many things in our lives we wouldn’t do otherwise. 

Values provide perspective in the best of times and worst. 

Charles A. Garfield

4 comments:

betty said...

That is a great list of values to live by, all so important to live a life that is meaningful.

Betty

jack69 said...

It is hard, no impossible to determine the most important, because today, thinking of CARING is tops on my list!

Mevely317 said...

Best of all, I love that paragraph about caring. They WANT to know. (Wow.)

I've not heard that term, "Tried and true" for a long time ... perhaps since my folks were alive ... but I can sure identify with it!

TARYTERRE said...

Tried and true values are important for sure. They help guide the way each and every day. "I've encountered circumstances which test my patience, my character and my peace of mind. For me, it’s the tried and true values which guide me and shape my priorities and reactions."