It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Chapter 2, Page 15, Book 17




♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ 



After you've done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over. 

Alfred Edward Perlman

February 15th - what to keep and what to throw away

throw away: to get rid of as worthless or unnecessary 

Trying to decide what to keep and what to give away can be an overwhelming task for many people, including me.

Here are a couple of tips I found to help in the decision making process

If you love it and use it, KEEP IT.

If you don’t love it and don’t use it, TRASH IT.


Use and love of an object makes it easy to decide to keep it. Not liking it and not using it also make it easy to get rid of the item.



 The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. 

Hans Hofmann

Most of what I’m getting rid of is the unnecessary things here at my house.  Too much of anything takes up a lot of space and only the necessary things are allowed to go.  I’m going to be living in a much smaller place.  I may have loved some of the things I’ve given away, but they were not necessary.


It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage.... You just have to put your ego on a shelf and tell it to be quiet. 

Jennifer Ritchie Payette

4 comments:

betty said...

As much as I had some sentiment for some things I did get rid of, if I hadn't used them in a bit or if I felt son wouldn't want them, I parted with them along the way as we moved from here to there. I really don't regret anything I gave away over the years. It is freeing to get to that point where you realize minimal is enough :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I agree, " If you love it and use it, KEEP IT." If you don't REPURPOSE it to someone else who will love it.

Mevely317 said...

I've been playing/singing Seger's "Against the Wind" a lot lately. I think it sort of reflects where I am in my life right now: "What to leave in ... what to leave out."

I had to LOL at Perlman's quote! Except for construction detours - I've been driving the same 32-mi. route to work and back every weekday for going on 15 years!

jack69 said...

Downsizing is the big buzzword, mostly from seniors. An EASY WORD TO SAY, EVEN CUTE! But until you stare it in the face and decide to do it, ONE HAS no idea the task ahead. WE never lived one place long, so we have not accumulated the 'stuff' and 'THINGS' you guys who have lived in the same town for years have. AND OURS WAS A MONUMENTAL TASK!
unfortunately for us, I had a 'spot to build a storage building'. So We down sized our 'stuff' from a 53' storage trailer to a 12x16 storage building, and there rests the REST of the story Things of our mamas that could not be throw out... NOW WHAT?

Yep I thoroughly understand your dilemma.