It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Chapter 1, Page 24, Book 17

♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ 


What I value in life is quality rather then quantity.

 Albert Einstein 

January 24th - quality versus quantity


Don’t use a lot where a little will do.

Proverb

At this point in my life I’ve learned that quality of life is far better than quantity of life.

More and more though, I see people desiring just the opposite.  Wanting more and enjoying it less.  I cannot for the life of me get their reasoning behind it.  What good is having more things, if you cannot enjoy them.

Choosing quality over quantity consistently makes me happier.  Having stuff means maintaining stuff.   I now have much less than I did and plan to have even less than I do now and I’m a happy camper.  For years, I had the job of decluttering hanging over me.  It was one task that I was eager to get rid of.  I was not eager to embrace the reasons behind what caused this major change in plans, but I’m thankful I now own a lot less stuff.

Choosing quality over quantity means  spending as much of your time as possible doing what makes you happy.   It seems that it’s quantity that is consistently rewarded in our society. More money, more bedrooms, more horsepower, more years, more accomplishments. We have been conditioned to strive for more.  But time and time again, I’ve found that more does not bring happiness.

The truth of the matter is that we spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years.

There is a lot of joy to be had in having just enough.


We don’t need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it.

Donald Horban

4 comments:

jack69 said...

What good is having more things, if you cannot enjoy them. That statement I learned a long time ago. And your statement of: More bedrooms, more horepower, etc seems to be such a fact of life now. Before I stopped building I had noticed more 3 member families were wanting more SQ FT. They seemed to be positive that bigger was better!

I smile when I see carports and garages of median income families bulging with THINGS. I smile thinking of the old addage, "In death, Does the man with the most marbles win?"

betty said...

Reminds me of a former pastor said one time in his sermon. Average size of a house in the 1950s and 1960s was 1100 square feet and 1 garage. Nowadays the average size house is 1800 to 2000 square feet and 2 car garage. And even with almost double the space, people are still renting storage units for their stuff. Ridiculous I do believe! I like living with the bare essentials. I have what I need and I'm content with it :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

AMEN! In my 'former life' we wanted for little, but there was little happiness at day's end.
Nowadays, Tom and I life more simply, but cherish the little things, like breakfast 'out' once a week or a movie.

TARYTERRE said...

I too have the chore of decluttering. But I never seem to be able to tackle it. You are lucky circumstances forced you to finally do it.