It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Chapter 11, Page 13, Book 16



Our lives are made up of
a million different ways.
Some are spent searching for
love, peace, and harmony.Others
are spent surviving day by day.

But there are no greater moments than
that life, with all it's joys and sorrows,
is meant to be lived one day at a time.
It's in this knowledge that we discover
the most wonderful truth of all.

Whether we live in a forty room mansion,
surrounded by servants and wealth,
or find it a struggle to manage the
rent month to month we have
it within our power to be fully
satisfied and live a life
with true meaning.

One day at a time we have that ability,
through cherishing each moment
and rejoicing in each dream.

We can experience each day anew,
and with this fresh start we have
what it takes to make all our
dreams come true.

Each day is new, and living
one day at a time enables us to truly
enjoy life and live it to the fullest.

Author Unknown

November 13th - I am thankful for the God given abilities I have

We all have ability. The difference is how we use it.

Stevie Wonder


I never thought of myself as one who has any great talent, but like each of us, I have certain skills and abilities.   Sometimes I loose track and forget to focus on the present and tend to let worry take over about my lack of ability.  I’ve found that by taking just one day at a time allows me to focus on the present moment and what I have the ability to do.


I think the list below spells out what I’m thinking better than I can say it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once.  I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
• 
JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy.  This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.
 
JUST FOR TODAY I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires.  I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.

 JUST FOR TODAY I will try to strengthen my mind.  I will study.  I will lean something useful.  I will not be a mental loafer.  I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count.  I will do at least two things I don’t want to do – just for exercise.  I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be agreeable.  I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit.  I won’t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a program.  I may not follow it exactly but I will have it.  I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax.  During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid.  Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.



Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. 

Lou Holtz

There are many things we would probably conclude we could not possibly do, if we had to do them for a lifetime. However, we could do them, just for today.



Learn to smile at every situation. See it as an opportunity to prove your strength and ability.

Joe Brown 

 Just for today I will hold my head high, and forget my problems. I can smile and make everyone else's day better, even if behind that smile I cry.

 Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there. 

Josh Billings 

4 comments:

betty said...

I like that Just For Today. I need to take one aspect of it and incorporate it into every day; what an improvement in my life I think it would be if I just did that. We all have great abilities, I sometimes think they get overshadowed if we look at someone's abilities and think they are better than ours, but God gave us exactly what he wants us to have, now we just need to use them :)

betty

Mevely317 said...


Earlier today, I read and RE-read a particular passage ... and still I struggle to digest it:
"I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it."

This makes me want to reach inside my computer and give you a big old hug, Ma.
Remembering how I'd thoughtlessly hurt my mother's feelings time and again ... there's so much guilt. That's not to say we should all walk around with our hearts on our sleeves, but I wonder if internalizing our tears is a good thing?

jack69 said...

I took the paragraph out of the work of anon, that said whether rich or struggling, we have the ability to be happy and satisfied. AND WE ABSOLUTELY DO.

Some folk can fix a computer but cannot make a sandwich. Some moguls can keep five 'deals' going at once, but cannot decide which clothes to wear.

I tell Sherry the ladies (and some men) who can cook a complete meal and have everything come out on time hot and ready (and nothing burned) are geniuses with a talent not surpassed. LOL

Love from Florida

Rick Watson said...

Beautiful post tonight.