It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Chapter 11, Page 12, Book 16



The true worth of a man is not to be found in man himself, but in the colors and textures that come alive in others.

Albert Schweitzer 

November 12th - I am thankful for the texture of our lives

Texture is the physical feel of something — smooth, rough, fuzzy, slimy, and lots of textures something in between

Our lives are full of textures, some visible, some we appreciate by touching, and I suspect that we take them for granted. The touch. The feel. The fabric of our lives.

Very often our likes and dislikes are really what create the shape and the texture of our lives. I imagine if we had a choice, we might desire a texture that would allow us to skate through life on an even level effortlessly and easily.  But real life isn’t like that.  It’s not as smooth as a piece of glass, a perfectly laid layer of ice at the skating arena, or a swatch of glossy satin. 


There is a texture of life that cannot be reduced. It has a richness that rational descriptions cannot capture. Life demands that we embrace our own texture that enables us to maneuver through whatever happens our way because troubles do come, the path is not easy or well marked, and sometimes we just get lost.  And that’s when who we truly are comes to light and others can see the fabric of our lives.

The texture of my life’s fabric is deep down, inside, the essence of my core.   It defines my beliefs, my choices in life, and my determination to give thanks in all circumstances.


Remember: Gratitude Can Change Every Texture of Our Lives. 

2 comments:

betty said...

I had not thought of the texture of our lives, but it is so true I would want something smooth with life, but it is the roughness of things that defines who we come to be.

Betty

Mevely317 said...

I never paused to consider textures, either! Were it not for the pebbles and pot-holes, I don't know that I'd fully appreciate the smooth sand.
You're right. There's so much I take for granted until challenged.