It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, November 11, 2016

Chapter 11, Page 11, Book 16



We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Colonel John McRae

November 11th - I’m thankful for a holiday which reminds us to appreciate the brave men and women in our military that give their lives that we might live a better life.

In the USA we call it Veterans Day, others may call it Armistice Day but no matter, today is a day we all should remember and never forget.  

I was born shortly before the end of WWII and was too young to remember it, but I do remember the scars on my Dad’s face from the wounds he encountered as a soldier during that world war.  I lived with them every day of my life until he died several years ago now.

He was proud to have served his country but never liked to talk about what happened in the Army.  He had a long recovery when he returned home from the war and he endured many surgeries that couldn’t totally repair the damage that was done.  

The cost of our freedom is never free.  Our veterans have paid the price and we honor them today with respect and pride.  


The moon gives you light,
And the bugles and the drums give you music,
And my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans,
My heart gives you love. 

Walt Whitman

2 comments:

betty said...

I don't think I knew this about your dad, Ma. His service sure cost him something yet he did it and I am sure did it well. A lot of soldiers didn't like to talk about what they did or saw, I am sure it was awful. So glad there are those willing to serve for our country.

Betty

Rick Watson said...

My father-in-law served and was a decorated soldier but he wouldn't speak of it either.
We owe these men and women a great debt.
R