It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Chapter 9, Page 22, Book 16




7 Rules of Life

1) Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
2) What others think of you is none of your business.
3) Time heals almost everything, give it time.
4) Don't compare your life to others and don't judge them. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
5) Stop thinking too much, it's alright not to know the answers. They will come to you when you least expect it.
6) No one is in charge of your happiness, except you.
7) Smile. You don't own all the problems in the world.

September 22nd - rules for life

I follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best you can, and always show people you care. 

Lou Holtz

We’ve all been in situations in which we were being trained for something. Perhaps it was a new job, a lesson in school, or a military commission. In the course of our training, some commands became so internalized that we still follow them years later: Say please and thank you. Stand up straight. Look both ways before you cross the street. They become second nature to us.

This is how most commands work. Whether to teach us manners, good habits, or independent living skills, rules are drilled into us so that we won’t break them. We probably become thankful for them over time, but rarely would people say that they delight in commands at the moment they are given.

7 Rules to be happy in life: 

1) Never hate
 2) Don't worry
3) Live simple 
4) Expect a little
 5) Give a lot
 6) Always smile
 7) And keep in touch with GOD.

They say that we first make our habits, and then our habits make us.  From the time I was little onward, I learned a lot of lessons that have become habits in my life, that have shaped how I act and how I think. And I am thankful for my parents, my teachers and also the friends and family in my life that taught me the best way to live. 



I think Robert Fulghum’s statement says it better than I could.

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten.

Share everything.
Play fair.
 Don't hit people.
 Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
 Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
And then remember the Dick and Jane books and the first word you learned, the biggest word of all, LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Not all rules and not all habits are good, but we do need them in our lives.  Rules and boundaries keep us safe.


Remember:

No rules for success will work if you don't. 

2 comments:

betty said...

I like both of the 7 rules of life. We do need to establish our rules in life if we want to succeed in all aspects of it indeed.

Betty

jack69 said...

I needed this:
6) No one is in charge of your happiness, except you.
7) Smile. You don't own all the problems in the world.

Ain't it the truth. When I see the news I forget #7 sometimes.... OUCH