It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Chapter 8, Page 6, Book 16


Between the wish and the thing life lies waiting. 

Proverb


August 6th - hurry up and wait


How much of human life is lost in waiting. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hurry up and wait: a humorous phrase used to refer to the situation in which one is forced to hurry in order to complete a certain task, or arrive at a certain destination, by a specific time; only for nothing to happen at that time, often because other required tasks are still awaiting completion.

One of life's frustrations can be summed up in the phrase, Hurry up and wait. Life requires both, quick action and patience. Putting the two together can be maddening.  The trick is to find a balance between readiness and patience.

There have been so many times I’ve hurried up to be ready on time for an appointment only to sit and wait when I got there.   Some days it seems like that’s all one does, whether clenching the steering wheel in traffic jams, tapping toes in clogged grocery checkout lanes, or thumbing through magazines in medical waiting rooms.

Life can be many things, but is a constant a waiting game. Just as farmers look forward to the fall harvest. We all look ahead, to plan, anticipate. It's part of our culture and our being. Anticipation can change your outlook and when you change your outlook, you change your life.

 You might not be able to change your circumstances, but you can change your attitude. As with most things attitude is everything and the attitude you have when having to wait makes a world of difference.

Remember: you can't have a positive life with a negative attitude.

5 comments:

jack69 said...

I laugh at this because I associated that with folks who speed off from a traffic light to get to the next one to wait again. That was much truer in my youth when no traffic lights were coordinated.
Good thoughts here.

Back Porch Writer said...

oh I can remember a few occasions where I hurried to be on time and sat and wait very long periods of times for those that failed to hurry. The attitude on that can make or break relationships. Luckly a zipper over my mouth and some patience, kept me from saying my mind. lol Have a wonderful Saturday.

Mevely317 said...

Giggling over here! DH and I are different in many ways, but none more so than when to leave the house to be somewhere on time. I've always been (unashamedly) a 'hurry up and wait' sort.

Understandably, facing eye surgery he was 'on edge' ... but knowing we'd have to traverse two freeways during the onset of rush hour I pushed ... then pushed some more. "Let's GO!"
Barely speaking to one another when we arrived at the surgi-center, of course, we were 5 minutes early and had to wait another 45.

betty said...

So true to hurry up and then have to wait. Good to realize that could happen and not get too frustrated about it, bring a good book or enjoy people watching or the beauty of nature if that is available. I know I can get impatient waiting in lines at the grocery store so I take that time advantage to check out magazines that I might not usually buy.

betty

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE this. Love it. "Anticipation can change your outlook and when you change your outlook, you change your life."