It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Chapter 8, Page 25, Book 16


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Aristotle


August 25th - life is not a soap opera or video game

We all fall into our habits, our routines, our ruts. They're used quite often, consciously or unconsciously, to avoid living, to avoid doing the messy part of having relationships with other people, of dealing with a person next to us. That's why we can all be in a room on our cell phones and not have to deal with one another. 

Andrew Stanton

Some routines and habits are good for us but if we find that we are regularly complaining, we need to make a concerted effort to express gratitude. If we have lapsed into mindless routines, such as snacking or binge watching television, we simply need to insert a new activity into that same time slot, such as walking, reading, praying, or meditating.  If you feel more connected to the characters on your shows than your real friends, it might be time to switch things up a bit.  

If you don't watch out, putting on your unhappiness in the morning can become as instinctive as putting on your clothes.

Robert Brault

If we consciously replace ineffective habits with more constructive ones, we'll feel happier, more peaceful, and energetic each day.

Even if your everyday routines are comfortable and you do okay with them. there are benefits to mixing things up that you don't get if you stick to the same activities month after month. Widely speaking, any time you force yourself to make a change, you encourage your brain to make new connections.  Routines can run on idle, but changing our habits force your brain to pay attention.

A bad habit never disappears miraculously. It's an undo it yourself project. 

Abigail Van Buren 


4 comments:

betty said...

So true about bad habits; you do have to work to rid yourself of them. I find the best way for me to do that is to alter what I do. For instance if I find myself snacking while on the computer in the evening, I have to stop that computer time and do something else so it doesn't put me into the snacking mode. Sometimes I complain about different aspects about my job, I need to remember to be grateful I have one :)

betty

Weekend-Windup said...

It is difficult to change one's nature. I have tried to change myself. I have been successful in some case.

jack69 said...

Love the Abigail quote at the end. That is so very true, We are responsible for ourselves, some folk never realize that until too late. that is sad. But in the long run life is mostly GOOD!

TARYTERRE said...

Dear ABBY got it right. "A bad habit is an undo it yourself project."