It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Chapter 8, Page 21, Book 16


The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this decide what you want.

 Ben Stein


August 21st - the importance of setting a lifetime goal


A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

George Patton

I’ve made a lot of plans and set many goals in my life, but never realized until just recently how important it is to set lifetime goals. These differ from the everyday to do lists we might make.  They are the things we want to commit our life too.  There are long term goals and short term goals, but lifetime goals are different. They say it’s really a good thing to do when you young, but really it’s something we all can do anytime. Remember today is the first day of the rest of your life.

The shortest distance between two points assumes you know where you're going. 

Robert Brault

We wouldn’t set out on a journey without a plan and believe me, life is a journey through time that each of us makes. Setting a goal is like having a map and compass, and a clear route to your to your destination. I want to know that when the very last day comes, I’ll be just where I want to be. I’ve made a life time commitment to my faith, to my family and to my friends.  They are what is important to me now and always have been.

When we set life time goals, we know that every second counts. We have to give the very best that we have, every single day. We know that we can’t waste a moment in self pity or meaningless time wasting activities. As a result, we start accounting for the present moment much more than we would otherwise.

Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another. 

John Dewey

I think that the personal goals, professional goals and material goals we set are often a reflection of what we set as our lifetime goals.  Once you have thought about your life goals, you can start to plan how best to achieve them.

As we all know, we can make plans that don’t exactly work out the way we want, but if we have set goals for a lifetime, we can ultimately reach them. If we don’t loose sight of the destination and commit to finishing the work we began, we’ll end up just where we want to be.

We all have a path to take; sometimes it's hidden under the weeds, so you might have to work a little. 

Mike Dolan

4 comments:

betty said...

I think the concept of lifetime goals is a good one and always good to think about and make at any age indeed. Something to think about on this restful Sunday.

Betty

Mevely317 said...

Yes, at first I thought, "What's the use at MY age?" But glad I kept reading and absorbing your message.

I'm going to print this and send my granddaughters.

jack69 said...

For us, there was a Business/career goal and there was a financial goal. Some of us Changed that life "Career" goal every few years, sure each one was 'THE ONE'. But the financial goal was always maintained, get debt free and live debt free.
I was in my early 40's before I found "THE CAREER" and about the same time we realized the financial goal.
Yes Goals are very important, AND I remind my grandkids, if you really feel you chose the wrong goal, DO NOT be afraid to readjust, getting to the end goal should be enjoyable, not misery!

TARYTERRE said...

Ben Stein has the right approach. "The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this decide what you want."Unless you do that who is to say where you end up?