It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Chapter 8, Page 14, Book 16



Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to better people. 

August 14th - Always willing to share my ignorance ... 

My family tree is a few branches short! All help appreciated. 

We are connected to our parents and all the generations that precede us. We may have inherited our father’s athleticism or our mother’s beautiful smile. 

Going through old family photos, I can see the physical characteristics we’ve inherited. Often we notice the negative ones: short legs, crooked teeth, unruly cowlicks. All of us can easily identify in our ancestors our own least favorite body part. In addition to physical attributes, we also inherited character traits, some good, some not so good. But we don’t always pay as much attention to those.

Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies.

Shirley Abbott

We are all an accumulation of not only our life experience, but those who were our ancestors.   Our ancestors are as near to us as our breath and bones.  We blame them for our good luck but not for our misfortune.


A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots. 


Still and all God has made all of us beautiful, special and unique, too.  Our ancestors determine many things about us but we decide our own future.

Remember too, you will also be an ancestor some day! Think about what you’ll pass on to future generations.

Every man is his own ancestor, and every man his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past. 

H.F. Hedge 

5 comments:

betty said...

So true we decide our future. It is good to know about our ancestors and our family history, but equally important to work on the legacy we want to leave behind. Been thinking about a lot of this over the past few months. Life is so short and we work so hard, we need to make sure we are working for the right thing.

Betty

jack69 said...

A very wise statement:

Our ancestors determine many things about us but we decide our own future. That Betty always leaves such good comments, but of course she says EXACTLY what I was gonna say,LOL!

Some times I feel like an ancestor already! hahahahahaha

Stay cool, we are at Blue Springs State Park this week. Nice and woody!

Mevely317 said...

It seems like yesterday, I was the up-and-coming ... and now, I sit two tiers above the 'action.'
Unfortunately, it took me more than 5 decades before I became interested in my ancestors ... so I won't fault my own grands for their (seeming) disinterest in those they've never known.
Sure. I've made lots of mistakes in the past, but I'm working hard to ensure the legacy I leave is a positive one.

Good stuff here!

TARYTERRE said...

Geneology is my hubbys hobby. LOVE the line, "My family tree is a few branches short! "

Rick Watson said...

I did that for a while a few years ago. I traced a few branches back to the 1700s but others I didn't have much luck.
It's fun work.
R