It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Chapter 8, Page 13, Book 16




There's a time each year
That we always hold dear,
Good old summer time;
With the birds and the trees'es
And sweet scented breezes,
Good old summer time,
When you day's work is over
Then you are in clover,
And life is one beautiful rhyme,
No trouble annoying,
Each one is enjoying,
The good old summer time.

 Lyrics by Ron Shields, In the Good Old Summertime   

August 13th - busy days are coming


Let me enjoy this late summer day of my heart while the leaves are still green and I won't look so close as to see that first tint of pale yellow slowly creep in. I will cease endless running and then look to the sky ask the sun to embrace me and then hope she won't tell of tomorrows less long than today. Let me spend just this time in the slow-cooling glow of warm afternoon light and I'd think I will still have the strength for just one more last fling of my heart.

John Bohrn, Late August

I have a tendency towards laziness these hot summer days, and knowing that that the busy days are coming I am trying to be very thankful and enjoy each one of them.  School is starting in just a few short weeks here in our part of the world and unofficially when school starts summer does seem to be over.

There is definitely a quietness to summer that Autumn doesn’t have.  There are busy days ahead for students and parents alike.  Busy packing lunches and attending football games are ahead.  There is never a quiet moment it seems when you have a family.  

Now a days I get to enjoy the exuberance of my grandchildren and their busy days but do have some great memories of those days when my own were small and still at home.  I always hated to see summer come to an end but also enjoyed the busyness of it all too.

New shoes, clothes and school supplies meant a new start was coming.  New teachers, new friends and new activities brought excitement to mind.  

When summer opens, I see how fast it matures, and fear it will be short; but after the heats of July and August, I am reconciled, like one who has had his swing, to the cool of autumn.

 Ralph Waldo Emerson 

5 comments:

jack69 said...

Time moves on. It happens every year the seasons change, our heart keeps wanting to hold on to the best of each season. What is sweet is how our 'self' adapts and moves on.

Yes, one last fling before the autumn of our hearts. (Yeah Bohrn)

betty said...

Since school just started here this past week, I'm reminded again of the busyness of it all even though I have no kids going to school this year (or for the last few years, LOL). But I see the kids walking to school or leaving with their parents in the morning and know the mornings are a rush time to get it all done and out in time and the evenings just the same. Its good to get back into the routine of school, but I know its always fun with the lazy days of summer. I had to blink today and realize it is August 13th already.

betty

Mevely317 said...

It's still difficult to reconcile myself to school buses and backpacks. Growing up, school always began the day after Labor Day.

I'm still trying to find appreciation in the summer months, but sure look forward to Fall!

Rick Watson said...

I get lazy during the dog days of summer too. It's hard to work outside when its this hot.
R

TARYTERRE said...

those lazy hazy days of summer are nice but that cool crisp air in autumn is even better.