It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, May 20, 2016

Chapter 5, Page 20, Book 16



Today I Will Make A Difference


Today I will make a difference. I will begin by controlling my thoughts. A person is the product of his thoughts. I want to be happy and hopeful. Therefore, I will have thoughts that are happy and hopeful. I refuse to be victimized by my circumstances. I will not let petty inconveniences such as stoplights, long lines, and traffic jams be my masters. I will avoid negativism and gossip. Optimism will be my companion, and victory will be my hallmark. Today I will make a difference.

I will be grateful for the twenty four hours that are before me. Time is a precious commodity. I refuse to allow what little time I have to be contaminated by self pity, anxiety, or boredom. I will face this day with the joy of a child and the courage of a giant. I will drink each minute as though it is my last. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. While it is here, I will use it for loving and giving. Today I will make a difference.

I will not let past failures haunt me. Even though my life is scarred with mistakes, I refuse to rummage through my trash heap of failures. I will admit them. I will correct them. I will press on. Victoriously. No failure is fatal. It's OK to stumble... I will get up. It's OK to fail... I will rise again. Today I will make a difference.

I will spend time with those I love. My spouse, my children, my family. A man can own the world but be poor for the lack of love. A man can own nothing and yet be wealthy in relationships. Today I will spend at least five minutes with the significant people in my world. Five quality minutes of talking or hugging or thanking or listening. Five undiluted minutes with my mate, children, and friends.

Today I will make a difference.

Even though my life is scarred with mistakes, I refuse to rummage through my trash heap of failure. I will admit them. I will correct them. I will press on.

 Max Lucado


May 20th - rise to the occasion

Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise.

 Kobe Bryant

Rankings! Ratings! Polls! Surveys! Standings! Our culture thrives on these measures. We constantly argue about who is most important.  We have political approval polls, opinion polls, talk shows, sports standings, Most Valuable Players, Nielsen ratings of TV shows, Fortune 500 companies, and even TV shows which rank who is worthy to survive another week at the expense of eliminating someone else. We talk about who’s the greatest, who has the most wealth, the most votes, the most power to influence, and the most status.



If we stay rooted to the world of ego we will miss out on so much. The world of ego means that we just think exclusively about ourselves. Lots of ego says that everything should, must and has to evolve around us. We want and need to be #1. Instead of reaching out this is only reaching in and means we are closed to blessings around us. It can never lead to meaning and fulfillment in life.

When we compare ourselves to others, sometimes we get to feeling like we are the lowest of the lowest on the totem pole there are so many that have so much more than we do, but the truth is that we really do have all we need to be the best we can be.  To rise to the occasions in our life is to put aside those feelings and simply be the person we were made to be.


Your Life is an Occasion. Rise to it.

2 comments:

betty said...

I liked that writing from Max Lucado. Of course I like a lot of things he writes. Very gifted he is. So true to rise to the occasion of our lives and not to compare ourselves to others. God uniquely made us for who we are, we just need to trust he'll guide us along the paths of our days.

betty

Rick Watson said...

If we all approached life like this, the world would be a better place.
R