It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Chapter 4, Page 2, Book 16



One of the most important milestones we'll all hit along the way is the moment when we finally own our unique point of view and realize how priceless it is. 

Sarah Ban Breathnace


April 2nd - marking the milestones

Milestone.

Originally, the word referred to a stone used as a mile marker. But it can also refer to a significant point in development, a turning point in life. 

I think it’s an important thing that we mark the milestones in our life, from those first birthdays and achievements as a child to the special ones as we grow older.

I have tried marking the important milestones in my life with pictures to remember those special days, like when my children and grandchildren were born and we celebrated their birthdays and all the first holidays and events that followed.



Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.

Susan B. Anthony

 A milestone in and of itself is really quite insignificant.  It only becomes powerful when we stop and distinguish it!  Our life’s milestones will almost always help us grow, or change who we are as a person in some significant way. The positive milestones can do this for us, and so can the negative milestones .

A very significant milestone in my life was hitting rock bottom.  Look back I can remember the point in my life that I was just plain tired of feeling tired and down and out for the count.  I’d bottomed out. Hitting rock bottom is the one of the most important milestones in your life because it literally forces you to find different avenues to achieve fulfillment. Some of the most remarkable achievements we make in life are the achievements we made after hitting rock bottom, because we were determined to lift ourselves back up and we finally had the drive to do so. If we are able to be resilient and turn the negativity in our lives into motivation to make a change, we will be on the road to success in no time. This is why it’s better to hit rock bottom sooner rather than later.

Ever since then I’ve tried to celebrate life to the fullest.  Looking on the bright side of every day and it has made a big difference.



Listing your personal milestones is like storing a pocketful of sunshine for a rainy day.

Author Unknown.


7 comments:

betty said...

So true to celebrate the milestones of our lives; and that took courage Ma to write about realizing when you hit rock bottom and listing that as a milestone; we often look for the good things to celebrate, but each milestone in our lives bears us to think it through to see how we can get ourselves to a better place.

betty

jack69 said...

This one sent my mind awandering. It still is. You made some significant points, one that sticks out, it is better to hit rock bottom early than later. So true.
Milestones? what a great thought!

Mevely317 said...

This post resonated when I first read it (on my phone) ... and still does!
Looking back, when I consider my abrupt life changes/stages, it's like I was a different person ... consequently, I felt ashamed.
Milestone is such a softer term than what I used to consider lines drawn in the sand.

Like Betty, I applaud your courage to admit to being down and out. I never would have guessed! Still, knowing you struggled lends more weight (I think) to your words!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely post! Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog!

Carol Z said...

I love to celebrate milestones. Looking forward to my 45th college reunion next year. I'm happy to be on the committee and am enjoying the planning and anticipation.

TARYTERRE said...

I have a milestone birthday this year. So I will be celebrating. But I think the initial quote you put at thde top of your blog is priceless advice. "One of the most important milestones we'll all hit along the way is the moment when we finally own our unique point of view and realize how priceless it is." Sarah Ban Breathnace

Rick Watson said...

Wow! This post resonated with me.
R