It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Chapter 4, Page 14, Book 16



You're only as good as your word and your word is only as good as your actions.
Cecily Morgan

April 14th - We are only as good as our word

Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep.

Denis Waitley

Sometimes we forget how powerful our words are, and we use them haphazardly or unconsciously, creating expectations that are never fulfilled, leaving disappointment and distrust in our wake.

Ever since human beings could speak to one another, they have been making promises and keeping them or not keeping them. Those who keep their promises are regarded as people of integrity, while those who don’t keep their promises are regarded as people who at best can’t be taken seriously and at worst can’t be trusted. 


To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing.

Mark Twain

The good Lord knows that I’m not perfect and I’m sure there have been times when I’ve let someone down, hopefully there are not too many.  I really can’t remember when I didn’t keep my word, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t.  Sometimes we do it unconsciously, with out even thinking about what we’ve done.

The thought for today, might be to pay a little more attention to how we give our word to other people. To carefully consider our promises before we make them, but once we give our word to others, we will do whatever it takes to honor it.

But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep…
Robert Frost

6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

One of my favorite all time quotes, "promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep…"
Robert Frost

betty said...

I made lots of promises in my youth that I didn't keep; nowadays I really am very careful not to promise unless I know I can fulfill and then if I can't, I let people know and apologize for it.

betty

jack69 said...

I think the entertainment world and that of Politics has downgraded the old adage about a person's word being their bond.
Seniors today still hold that quality in general.

However, Where your word was your bond, now you need it in writing and notarized. I found out in business over the years, the trend slowly changed and I was very disappointed.
I have never liked the idea of holding a gun to someone's head to make them keep their word. (so to speak)

But outside business (where proof is required) I like to have and be friends with people who 'respect' themselves enough to 'Keep their Word'.

jack69 said...

I'm with TT on the FRost Quote!

shortybear said...

good post

Rick Watson said...

Have you ever read the poem - The creation of Sam Magee.
There is a line it it I've never forgotten.
A promise made is a debt unpaid.


It's hard to say it better than that.
R