It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Chapter 1, Page 30, Book 16



Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the
children of God.

Mathew 5:9

January 30th - a peace keeper or a peace maker

Peace begins with a smile.

Mother Teresa

Words are a tricky thing. They have different meanings to different people, and unfortunately, that can result in some major miscommunication of expectations. For this reason, I think it’s vital to define terms.

A peacekeeper operates out of fear of rocking the boat. A peacemaker is motivated by genuine care for the other person.

Peacekeepers avoid conflict. Peacemakers pursue reconciliation at the risk of their own comfort. 

Peacekeepers don’t share how they really feel so as not to start an argument. Peacemakers are dogmatically committed to truth telling. 



We are either keeping the peace or making it.  For a lot of my life I was a peacekeeper, but am finding out that it is better to be a peace maker.  I dislike conflict. It seems easier to just let something go, shove it under the rug, or put up with it  and to avoid the risk of rejection by not bringing it up. 

A peacemaker seeks to live in harmony and peace with others.  Peacemakers are not quick to assume the other person is at fault.

Being a peacemaker is not easy.  It’s not avoiding issues.  It’s diving right in the middle of them.  A peacemaker is one who helps others make peace with men. 


Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.

John F. Kennedy


4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

You're right about words being tricky things! For years, I used to think the term, "renaissance man" meant an old-school, chivalrous sort.

Before reading this, I would have presumed peacekeeper and peacemaker were synonymous. Right now - especially in the workplace! - I think it's important I remain a peacekeeper.

Carol Z said...

A lot to think about here. At work I was mostly a peacekeeper. Now I hope I am a peacemaker, though I find it's difficult not to get caught up in a "noise" when I'm stating my views on important matters, especially in this political season.

jack69 said...

I am guilty of being both, but to my chagrin, probably mostly a Peacekeeper.

Love your animated graphic! Nice!
Good 'thinking' Entry!

betty said...

I have to say over the years I was more of a peacekeeper, but I think lasting peace is when one strives to be a peacemaker; you summed up the difference between them quite well :)

betty