It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Chapter 1, Page 28, Book 16


Friends Are Like Angels


Our friends are like angels,
Who brighten our days.
In all kinds of wonderful,
Magical ways.

Their thoughtfulness comes,
As a gift from above.
And we feel we're surrounded,
By warm, caring love.

Like upside-down rainbows,
Their smiles bring the sun.
And they fill ho hum moments,
With laughter and fun.

Friends are like angels,
Without any wings.
Blessing our lives,
With the most precious things.
Author Unknown

January 28th - be a friend

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.

Proverbs 27:9


It seems the moment the Christmas holiday concluded retailers were stocking their shelves in anticipation of the Valentine’s Day holiday in February.  Although the schedule seems ambitious, the abundance of Valentine’s colors and shapes are welcome on a cold January day.  During one shopping trips I saw a display of red, pink or white rectangular boxes each with an opening in the top.  I quickly recognized these as a manufactured version of the shoe box valentine receptacles we made in grade school.  

Valentine's Day brings bring some memories of childhood  The sharing of valentines was quite the production.   I remember how I carefully planned which friend would get which valentine!  As we are a couple of weeks from Valentine’s Day,  I find myself determined to engage that same care expressing my love and appreciation to my dear friends near and far.


All it ever takes to step from the ordinary and into the magical is your undivided attention.

Stephen C. Paul

It is magical the way people change when you pay attention to them.  I’ve always believed that if you want to have friends, you have to be a friend.  And friends need our attention.  Truth is we all like to have some undivided attention now and then.  

I’ve learned that the best thing about the toughest days of your life is that you get to see who your true friends really are.  They’ll be there for you no matter what.

We live in an ADD world. It seems like everybody’s got Attention Deficit Disorder because our tools and technology have left us perpetually distracted, and we no longer pay attention to the people around us.  If you want to have happier relationships, you need to learn the lost art of paying attention.

The greatest gift you can give somebody is your attention because your attention is your time, and your time is your life. You’re never going to get it back, and that’s why it is so precious when you give it.  Whatever we pay attention to is going to grow. If I pay attention to my garden, it’s going to grow. When we pay attention to our children, they grow and if you pay attention to your marriage, it’s going to grow. 

The essence of relationships is how much of ourselves we give to each other.  Friendships don't just happen; they need nurturing and attention.  

Friends bring a smile to your face when you're sad and make your days bloom with lots of joy and happiness. 


4 comments:

betty said...

I too remember growing up in school around Valentine's Day bringing in the shoe box and we would actually decorate them during school during art time. Now a lot of schools don't even seem to have Valentine Day parties any more (at least here). So true to have a friend, one must be a friend, and spending time with people we have as friends or want to cultivate into a friendship with is a great way to go!

betty

Sr. Ann Marie said...

I remember distributing valentines in grade school. Usually we had a box in the classroom to put the valentines in and then on Valentine's Day several students helped to distribute them. I agree with your thoughts on technology--even though I use technology all day at work. I always joke that I have a dumb phone rather than a smart phone--all it does is make and receive phone calls--and sometimes it doesn't do that very well! I think I offended my boss recently when I said that I wondered if that fact that people talk so fast (often not being able to be understood) is because they are so used to texting fast!

jack69 said...

Valentines and Grade school. WOW what memories. It was a fun time.

I like most poetry, but I am still partial to the old fashion poem that rhymes. Like this one.

Rick Watson said...

I loved those little heart shaped sugar candies we used to buy at the dime store.