It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Chapter 12, Page 22, Book 15



In all ranks of life the human heart yearns for the beautiful; and the beautiful things that God makes are his gift to all alike.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

December 22 - a cheerful giver

It is a pleasure to a real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises. 

Dorothy Wordsworth

Christmas is a celebration of how God shared His love with us. This story, found in one of my daily devotionals, tells it best. Time before time when the world was young, two sisters shared a field and mill together. Each night they divided evenly the grain they had ground together during the day. One sister lived alone, the other had a husband and a large family. Now the single sister thought to herself one day, It isn't really fair that we divide the grain evenly. I have only myself to care for, but my sister has a family to feed.

 So each night she secretly took some of her grain to her sister's granary to see that she was never without. But the married sister said to herself one day, It isn't fair that we divide the grain evenly, because I have children to provide for me in my old age, but my sister has no one. What will she do then?

So every night she secretly took some of her grain to her sister's granary. As a result, both of them always found their supply of grain mysteriously replenished each morning. Then one night they met each other half-way between their houses. Suddenly they realized what had been happening, and embraced each other in love. It is said that the spot where they met became a holy place, because God was made known to the world in a place where human beings discovered each other sharing in acts of love.

When we share and give in love most of the mud of the world will become a firm foundation of peace for all.

Remember
This December,
That love weighs more than gold!

Josephine Dodge

4 comments:

betty said...

I love this story; speaks of generosity and kindness and compassion; something we definitely need more of in this world :)

betty

jack69 said...

All I can say, as I do too often, AMEN to Betty's comment.

Love from Wildwood Florida and a satisfying time to you and yours as THAT wonderful day approaches.

Debbie said...

I had never heard this before. What a story of generosity and love. I want to share this with my family this Christmas. Thank you for sharing this.
Merry Christmas, dear one!
Love to you.
Debbie
xo

Rick Watson said...

Beautiful post tonight.