It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, December 11, 2015

Chapter 12, Page 11, Book 15



When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less. The question is, said Alice, whether you can make words mean so many different things. The question is, said Humpty Dumpty, which is to be master thats all. 

 Lewis Carroll

December 11th-  words can mean a lot

I read about a Sunday School teacher who asked her class to draw a picture of the Holy Family for Christmas. One little boy turned in a picture of a mother, father, and a baby in an airplane with a pilot. Who do you have there? asked the teacher. That's Mary, Joseph, the baby Jesus, answered the little boy, and that's Pontius the Pilot.

Words are such funny things.  One word can mean many things and we all hear things a bit differently than what someone else does.  Words  also change meaning over time in ways that might surprise you. We sometimes notice words changing meaning under our noses.  For example unique coming to mean: very unusual rather than one of a kind.    How in the world are we all going to communicate effectively if we allow words to shift in meaning like that?

Language shapes how we think about the world.  It’s the meaning of the word that is important.  Words are just pointers to things.  Often people use different words and argue about the words instead of asking for the definition of the words.

The word love can mean so many things.  We hear phrases such as: You look lovely, Make love, not war, I love to cook, I love you, I love, love. Also the word feel is used in various ways: I felt my heart drop, I feel hurt, I have no feeling what so ever, My arm feels sore, or I have so much feelings for you.

The word Advent means coming or arrival.



All human wisdom is summed up in two words –
wait and hope.

Alexandre Dumas

3 comments:

betty said...

I like that last quote; so true about human wisdom with wait and hope. It is interesting over the years how words do change in some of their meaning. I've been doing some word study with different words in the Bible and how we interpret them now but how they would have been interpreted back then; fascinating. Love can indeed be a overused word; we love pizza, we love our children, etc. What we definitely should do with the word love is use it often among those we truly do love and let them know so.

betty

jack69 said...

ain't it the truth:
All human wisdom is summed up in two words –
wait and hope.
***
I am wrestling with computer problems.....

Rick Watson said...

Pontius the Pilot. Only a kid would have picked up on that.
Good post.
r