It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, November 30, 2015

Chapter 11, Page 30, Book 15




There is a time to be silent and a time to speak

Eccl. 3:7

November 30th - Well timed silence can be more eloquent than words.


I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.

Author Unknown
 
 Most people are uncomfortable with silence. There's something very awkward about it somehow. 

Shallow streams make the most noise, is a delightful turn on the old adage, Still waters run deep.  It’s true the people who make the most noise tend to have little of substance to say.  The flip side of that problem is that we don’t listen well either. I’m reminded of the line in the old Simon and Garfunkel song Sounds of Silence about folks hearing without listening. Oh, they hear the words, but they fail to silence their own thoughts and truly listen. It would be good if we all learned to be silent and still.

Never forget the power of silence, that massively disconcerting pause which goes on and on and may at last induce an opponent to babble and backtrack nervously. 

Lance Morrow

Good silence is a listening silence, a humble silence. It leads to right hearing, right understanding, and right speaking. 

Silence is one great art of conversation. 

Anonymous


3 comments:

betty said...

That is so true with the last quote about silence being one great art of conversation. You are right too, Ma, silence can be sometimes awkward, but a lot of times better than saying something that one might regret down the road.

betty

jack69 said...

This is another winner. I especially like the quote, 'I have never regretted my silence. In all my public speaking, I never mastered the 'silence', one of the better parts of a speech.
Thanks for reminding me of something I need to practice.
Our last day in Georgia for awhile, it is beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

Very nice!