It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, September 07, 2015

Chapter 9, Page 7, Book 15



RESULTS AND ROSES
     Edgar Guest

The man who wants a garden fair,
    Or small or very big,
With flowers growing here and there,
    Must bend his back and dig.

The things are mighty few on earth
    That wishes can attain.
Whate'er we want of any worth
    We've got to work to gain.

It matters not what goal you seek
    Its secret here reposes:
You've got to dig from week to week
    To get Results or Roses.

September 7th - Labor Day

It's time to enjoy the fruits of our labor, because that's precisely the point of this lovely summer holiday. Yes, it is still summer for just a couple of more weeks.  The leaves have started to fall though here at my house, so while we have these summer days left to enjoy, we enjoy them to the fullest

While most things have gone to seed or are very limp and lifeless here, the roses are blooming for all they are worth. I have this one lone bush in my back yard, but it never ceases to amaze me from May until whenever the frost hits it, be it late September or early October.  

Everyone has a different job to do and it’s our duty to do the best we can at whatever we do.  I’m thinking my job this summer has been to stop and smell the roses.  We all really do need to do that sometimes.

No matter what kind of work we do, we should love it.  Not so much the job itself but the fact that we can do it with love.  Love that sometimes brings rewards and sometimes not.

Labor Day, with all of its fun and frolic, can be a time that we set aside each year to assess where we are with our goals, and priorities in life. Let us never forget that our work is a gift and we should be thankful we can do it.

Labor Day is also a time to celebrate with family and friends.  For appreciating those we labor for and with, as we take an extra day off to celebrate the value of good, honest labor and also the virtues of not working.

Hard work is painful when life is devoid of purpose. But when you live for something greater than yourself and the gratification of your own ego, then hard work becomes a labor of love.

Author Unknown

3 comments:

jack69 said...

I am an Edgar Guest fan. I always enjoy his down to earth 'poetry'.
Very good thoughts of your own for this Labor Day. I look back at the jobs I have had and cannot find a one that I did not 'enjoy' more than dislike.
Have a great day today!
Love from North CArolina

betty said...

I think you had a wonderful job this summer to stop and smell the roses, Ma :) It is one that after all your years of hard work you definitely earned :)

betty

Back Porch Writer said...

Nice to have the day off today. Found some travel blogs that are interesting and added them to my side bar. Nice to have blogging time. Also added some webcams that are fun in my side view for some fall/winter people watching. lol Anyway I'm being geeky today b/c I have time time and hope you are having fun today too.