It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Chapter 7, Page 5, Book 15



Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What would life be like without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes.
John Denver, Home Grown Tomatoes

July 5th - love affairs

I have a love affair with tomatoes and corn. I remember them from my childhood. I only had them in the summer. They were extraordinary.

Alice Waters

Love affairs do come in all kinds, and many of us love a good homegrown tomato. Summer means that first red, ripe, juicy tomato that we can’t wait to slice and eat.  The first tomato sandwich of the year is always a highlight. They are wonderful and do wonders for us too.

Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. Tomatoes contain a wide array of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants and the are delicious  !

Cherish sunsets, wild creatures and wild places. Have a love affair with the wonder and beauty of the earth.
Stewart Udall

One thing we need to remember is to make sure to store fresh tomatoes at room temperature. Avoid refrigeration, as this causes tomatoes to lose their flavor.

There are few foods that better mark the summer and early fall months than the sweet juiciness of a vine ripened tomato. Although tomatoes are available year round across the U.S., some of the most delicious tomato flavors come from fresh tomatoes that have been planted in late spring or early summer and ripen from July through September.

My love affair will be short lived, but enjoyed thoroughly.

A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins.

 Laurie Colwin


7 comments:

peggy said...

I agree with all of you. Still waiting for my first ripe one this year.

Mevely317 said...

Ah, you're speaking right to my DH's heart! (Me, I'm not especially fond of them.)
A Chicago native, DH speaks so fondly of picking them right off the vine. Sad, Arizona's tomato crop have exteriors akin to shoe leather.

Jean said...

I agree with you. I planted 4 plants and we have been eating tomatoe sandwiches now for a week and so good. Raining here in south Alabama today.

TARYTERRE said...

My husband is a tomato lover and a classical music aficionado. So the quote by Laurie Colwin, "A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins." touched his fancy.

Hollie said...

I LOVE fresh tomatoes!!! They are my favorite!!! I'm ready to can some and make salsa!!

betty said...

I'm more of a corn fan over tomatoes, but it is so true that there is something delicious about a vine ripe tomato.

betty

jack69 said...

I must admit to a love affair also. Corn and Tomatoes fresh from the field, the taste is impossible to top. I am sure Ohio with all that farm land is similar, to the Pennsylvania area. I always enjoy the road side stands, they have all but disappeared here in the south.