It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Chapter 5, Page 17, Book 15



Correction does much, but encouragement does more. 
Encouragement after censure is as the sun after a shower.

Johann von Goethe

May 17th - Love corrects 

When correction is necessary, it should be done with kindness and love

One of the most loving things you can do for someone is tell them when they're wrong.  There are some circumstances in which we have a clear responsibility to offer correction to those around us. Parents must not shirk that duty to their children. Teachers must be willing to guide their students. Ministers must be able to care for their flocks.  No matter what our position, correction must be offered in love and humility

 Willingness to humbly take correction and instruction is a condition for wisdom. If you resent being rebuked, then you reject wisdom, which is necessary for successful living. If you want to be a wise man, then you must learn to accept reproofs.



We are not provided with wisdom,
we must discover it for ourselves,
after a journey through the wilderness
which no one else can take for us,
an effort which no one can spare us.

Marcel Proust

We all have our blind spots and having some one care enough to point them out is a good thing. Many times, we are blind to what is good about us as well as what is bad. Make sure there is praise as well as constructive criticism that says, I love you enough to tell you the truth.

It is important to recognize the difference between correction and mere criticism.  We need to make sure that those we correct know that we love them.  Having lived most of my childhood with criticism a part of my daily life there were times I wasn’t sure if my parents loved me or not.  It would have been wonderful to have had some encouragement from them now and then.  Thankfully I did have others that encouraged me along the way.


You and I are not perfect. It's okay to correct each other but lets not criticize one another.
 Unknown 

5 comments:

Back Porch Writer said...

True words! Sometimes I have a hard time with correction. I view it as criticism. I have been around so many that were so critical about everything to the nth degree and made me not want to listen to anything anyone had to say. It's unfortunate and I've had to learn the hard way that sometimes we do have to listen to correction. I have one stipulation - no speeches - lol

Mevely317 said...

This is so true.
Gently, but firmly correcting someone is an art form some parents, teachers and leaders haven't grasped.
I like to think they just don't realize how they come across. But my, oh my, the damage that's done.

betty said...

Indeed it is so wise to give correction to someone and also wise to listen to that correction; we can learn from it if we allow ourselves to, but of course, it should be done lovingly and wisely by those that are doing the correcting.

betty

jack69 said...

Correcting with love and understanding is becoming a lost art, methinks. and it is such a shame.
Many times I blew it as a parent, but I did try.
GREAT entry and timely..

TARYTERRE said...

It is difficult sometimes to take criticism and correction. But it is often necessary. Johann von Goethe said it best, "Encouragement after censure is as the sun after a shower."