It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Chapter 3, Page 31, Book 15



Dust If You Must 
Author Unknown  

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better,
To paint a picture or write a letter,
Bake a cake or plant a seed,
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
Music to hear and books to read,
Friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair,
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
This day will not come 'round again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
Old age will come and it's not always kind.
And when you go and go you must,
You, yourself, will make more dust.



March 31st - loving home


Everyday happiness means getting up in the morning,
and you can't wait to finish your breakfast.
You can't wait to do your exercises.
You can't wait to put on your clothes.
You can't wait to get out--
and you can't wait to come home, because the soup is hot.

George Burns

As a mom I’ve always felt that it is our responsibility to create a safe , loving home environment where all members feel valued and loved.  But there is no denying that creating a peaceful home takes work

I grew up in a house that had to be picture perfect.  You could eat off the floors they were so clean.  My mom, God bless her soul, was Mrs. Clean.   I vowed that when I had my own home, I’d never live like that and I never had.  


A house is not a home without a family and friends to share it 

I want people to feel comfortable and loved when they come to my home.  That means I don’t care if things get messy.  I do try keep the dust bunnies to a minimum and dust when needed, but I focus on the comfort of those that visit here.   A home is not merely a building but requires inhabitants and a friendly atmosphere.

When I was searching out a bit of my Hungarian ancestry, I found this beautiful blessing.  A good one for all of us I think.

Where there is Faith,
There is Love.
Where there is Love,
There is Peace.
Where there is Peace,
There is God.
Where there is God,
There is no need.

Hungarian House Blessing

A house is not a home.  A house is a house, and it may be lovely to look at and fine to visit, but a house, by itself, is not a home.  You can 'feel at home' or 'not feel at home' in a house. 


A house is not a home unless love lives there.

Every house where love abides 
And friendship is a guest, 
Is surely home, and home, sweet home 
For there the heart can rest. 

Henry van Dyke



4 comments:

handmade by amalia said...

Love the 'dust if you must' poem! My mom always says that if the house is tidy you can be forgiven a bit of dust. Funnily I am way more fussy than she is :-)
Amalia
xo

betty said...

A house is not a home unless there is love in it! So true, Ma! I thought that poem Dust if You Must is a good one. For the four years we lived in my in-laws' house I never cleaned because I felt hubby should take on some of the responsibility since I worked 40 hours plus, he worked about 15-20, and when he had worked more, I had done all the cleaning myself at other houses. Now that he's working more and I'm working the same, I got back to doing the house cleaning. I do a bit every morning but not fanatical about it. I do feel better living in a clean house, not a super clean house, but better than a messy house like we lived before. But I wouldn't put cleaning first over family, that type of thing :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

Dust If You Must is my new favorite poem. Going to hang a copy of it on my fridge. LOVE it.

jack69 said...

Now this one hits the cords that make the music of life. I love your attitude, and I always have since starting reading here. Each visit a reader gets closer to the feeling of a real mother.
Love the house blessing, but you dropped a lot of jewels today.
Thanks for a good visit, I always feel welcome.
Love the pidctures also. Neat.