It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chapter 2, Page 24, Book 15


February 24th - Sprinkled with love

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Colossians 4:6


Could it be that the seasoning we use to use to make our love a little sweeter could be salt?  To be seasoned with salt is to savor the fresh and lively spiritual wisdom and earnestness of others. It is not enough to answer what is asked, unless we answer aright also.  A message of love should thus be clearly conveyed through the words we speak, through our conduct and mannerisms.

 My grandmother was pretty smart when it came to the tongue. She sprinkled her daily conversation with wise sayings like, Keep your tongue between your teeth,  and, Think twice before you speak once.

Angry words, O let them never
      From the tongue, unbridled slip.
      With the soul's best impulse
      Ever check them,
      Ere they soil the lips.
      Angry words are quickly spoken,
      Bitter thoughts are rashly stirred.
      Fondest links of life are broken.
      By a single angry word.


Our words reflect what's in our hearts. If a man loves sports, he talks sports. If he loves money, he talks money. If he loves art, he talks art. When you get to my age, you look back and it's an awesome thing. I think about the millions of words I must have said over the years.  The important things in my life have always been my faith, family and friends.  I hope my words have reflected that.

True love is delicate and kind, full of gentle perception and understanding, full of beauty and grace… . There should be some flavor of this in all our love for others. 

We all could use a little extra sprinkling of love these cold winter days.  I hope you sprinkle your days with love and fun.



It is a fine seasoning for joy to think of those we love. 

 Jean Baptiste Molière

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Your grandmother was a smart woman indeed for saying, "Think twice before you speak once." So true.

betty said...

I like your thought to sprinkle our days with love and fun! That's a good thought to carry with us no matter what season :)

Your grandmother was a wise woman!

betty

jack69 said...

I try not to hurt anyone with words, at times I fail, but not because I do not try.
Some of the most hurtful folk I know apologize often, but the words cannot be unsaid. I keep hoping one day they will realize that.
Very wise words lady, and I definitely respect Grandma, we need more Grandmas like that.