It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Chapter 2, Page 21, Book 15



February 21st - Love: the only virtue that can be divided endlessly and still not be diminished

Although Valentines Day is but a memory now and the season of Lent is upon us, I’m sharing a little Valentines tale with you today.

 Imagine a person buys a beautiful bouquet of flowers for his or her beloved for Valentine's day.  The person receiving the flowers is moved to tears and says, Your expression of love means SO much to me.  Thank you so much.  And then imagine the person giving the flowers responds by saying, Well, it is Valentine's Day you know and I didn't want you to be mad at me if I didn't do something for you today.

      Ouch!  The flowers in and of themselves would have been a wonderful gift.  But when the person says, I just didn't want you to be mad at me, all of the positive energy of the gift of the flowers disappears.


Giving someone a gift because you are afraid they might be mad otherwise is very different than giving that gift to express genuine love. 

Lent and Valentine's Day have something in common.  Our true motives in regard to how we approach each of these days makes all the difference.  The expression of heartfelt feelings of love in any form is only authentic and meaningful if the motivation itself is grounded in love, not fear.  

I added the picture of our snow in today's post.  Yesterday the walks and the driveway were clear, This morning it is snow covered here once more.  I'm very weary of winter, but am trying to remember that no winter lasts forever.


Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we are saved by love.

Reinhold Niebuhr




6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Your Valentine/Lent story rings true in so many ways. People should do things out the the goodness of their heart, not because they feel obligated because of a potential adverse reaction. That is like holding the heart ransom.

jack69 said...

Great entry and wisdom for sure, and before I forget, I have meant to say for the longest, I alwaus enjoy your photos, and expeciallyt he 'oval fade' you use to highlight a point.

YES, words can ruin a good expression.

SPRING WILL COME, and the birds will sing. :-)

Rose said...

That Valentine story is so, so, so,
true and meaningful.

betty said...

So true with the story you shared about Valentine's Day, Ma. I would not want to receive a gift because someone thought I would be mad if I didn't get a gift.

Wow with the snow! I can see why you would be weary. Not too many places to shovel it off it seems!

betty

Mevely317 said...

Great analogy between Valentines and the Lenten season!
The sheer amount of your snowfall boggles my mind!

Elizabeth said...

That is a lot of snow, it looks beautiful but I know the cold is hard! Spring is coming though!