It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Chapter 12, Page 9, Book 14



None of us knows what the next change is going to be, what unexpected opportunity is just around the corner, waiting a few months or a few years to change all the tenor of our lives.

Kathleen Norris


Let Us Wait in Joyful Hope

I read a story that said it is traditional to make 13 different kinds of cookies for Christmas, and though I have never found the source for this bit of folklore, it makes sense to me. It also serves as a convenient way of dividing up the time before Christmas. I figure if I make three different batches of cookies each week during Advent, and an extra batch the last week, I’ll have thirteen different kinds of cookies to serve and  I can box them up and give them as Christmas presents.

Talk about joyful preparation,  I think this is one piece of advice I’m going to try.  Waiting does bring good things!!

I may not make 13 different kinds, I'm getting a late start here, but there will be some baking going on here.  Hopefully I’ll be showing you some pictures of my cookie baking soon.  Nothing says lovin’ like something from the oven. The pictures are from past years’ cookies.


The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. 

Burton Hillis 


4 comments:

betty said...

How cute with the 13 different kinds of cookies; maybe that's why cookie exchanges are so popular. You are right though, Ma, a gift from the oven is always a welcomed treat!

betty

jack69 said...

I agree with your quote from Kathleen Norris. Although sometimes it is hard to wait fro what is behind the bend.

It is great when we can enjoy life NOW! Most of us spent too many times wishing for tomorrow. Now that it is here I want to try to enjoy it.
Cool here, I know it is COLD there!

I have some great photos of the Ohio landscape in the summer that pop up. I even got to see and photo one like you held on your blog, the old Barn with the Ohio painted on it.
Not sure I would love the winters...

jack69 said...

Oh, the barn is still there, just down lower than I remember.!(smile)

TARYTERRE said...

Those cookies look delightful.