It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, December 04, 2014

Chapter 12, Page 4, Book 14


Whatever we are waiting for - peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance - it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart.


Sarah Ban Breathnach

I used to make plans for what I wanted to do. I still have intentions for what I’d like to happen, but I’m not rigid about them. 

I don’t suffer if they don't happen. I might be unhappy, but I do my best to stay here and now, in the present moment, when they arise. I’ve found that very often the problem isn’t life, but our expectations of it.

Waiting helps you realize that life exists in the here and now, not just in the future. So we keep our eyes on the future, but won't forget to fill our nows with all the living we can squeeze into it. We all face unexpected delays that try our patience and bring on the anxiety jitters and sleepless nights. But remember this truth today; when it’s beyond our control, it is always within God’s control!



This little story tells it well:

In the heat of the American Civil War, one of President Lincoln’s advisors said he was grateful that God was on the side of the 
Union. Lincoln replied, Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.

What a great challenge for us who assume that God is there to support our plans, our perspectives, our decisions, and our desires. However, Lincoln’s reply reminds us that even our best plans may not be near to what God desires.



I found this list of four things we must eliminate from our lives in order to be content.

The number one problem that leads to feelings of discontent is greed. I was once like this myself. Of course, I didn't think of it at the time as being greedy; I just always wanted more than I had. We must learn to enjoy where we are in each area of life, while we are on the way to where we are going. 

I also believe fear causes many of us to be unhappy and discontent. We are afraid we will not get what we desire, and this causes us to be impatient. Over time, I have learned  I could trust in and wait on God's perfect timing to bring to me those things that He knew were best for me. 

Lack of trust in God is another cause of discontent, but simply trusting in God brings us into a place of rest, joy, and peace. 

Looking for contentment in all the wrong places is my fourth reason for discontent. Don't make the mistake of looking for contentment in things. If you do, the result will be that you will never find it. You will never be truly satisfied.



May no gift be too small to give, nor too simple to receive, which is wrapped in thoughtfulness, and tied with love. 

L.O. Baird

4 comments:

jack69 said...

You nailed it withthis one:
Lack of trust in God is another cause of discontent, but simply trusting in God brings us into a place of rest, joy, and peace.
*************************
Today is moving day, overcast and a good day to drive.
sending love from Central Florida

betty said...

I like that even when things are beyond our control, God is always in control! I do like the list of things we must eliminate from our lives in order to be content, that is something to look at and evaluate to see if we can change any of them. I know fear and worry is something I need to stop.

Hope your Thursday is a great one, Ma!

betty

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Excellent reflection! Thank you for sharing it.

TARYTERRE said...

I agree unrealistic expectations can lead to disappointments and frustrations. At this time of year that can spell trouble. Positive thinking is what gets us through.