It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Chapter 12, Page 30, Book 14


December 30th - The Sixth day of Christmas

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me: 6 Geese a Laying 5 Golden Rings 4 Calling Birds 3 French Hens 2 Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

We are all familiar with the carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas. It is more than a song of strange and delightful nonsense. It is a song of instruction. Dating back to the 16th or 17th century, it was created as a memory aid to help children learn their Faith. The true love is no earthly suitor, but God Himself, Who gives His wondrous gifts to every person.


On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
Six geese a laying…

Six geese a laying are the six days of creation. The eggs of the geese hold the promise of life to come; which represents the expansion of God’s creation.

So today I’m celebrating creation and all it’s glory.  There is so much to be in awe of when we consider our world and all it has to offer.  

The world says that Christmas is over.  Decorations are down in stores where there are the after holiday sales. Radio stations are back to playing only their regular type of music with no Christmas songs.  But here at my house I’m still singing the songs and in some cases learning the lessons very well.


Do not have your concert first and tune your instrument afterwards. Begin the day with God.

James Hudson Taylor, 1832-1905
English Missionary

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I love this one. We do have such beauty around us and the greatest we have is God's love.

TARYTERRE said...

I am very familiar with the carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas. I however did not know it was created as a memory aid. very interesting information, indeed.

Carol Z said...

Decorations are still up in my house. I'm enjoying every bright moment.

jack69 said...

I like this. I was thinking yesterday, it is time for MA to start a new book. I really do like the way you name your blog entries, I think that is so neat.

I had never read the quote about tuning the instruments 'after' a concert. spot on.

I will be back to wish you a Happy New Year!