It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 22, 2014

Chapter 12, Page 22, Book 14



Tips For A Debt Free Holiday

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the state, consumers were worried, for their debt was so great.

The shoppers, they lie tense in their beds, as visions of credit cards danced through their heads.

They bought goodies and gifts without any plan, now they lie wakeful, wondering how things got so out of hand.

With no money to spare, and presents under the tree, all they can think of is, Oh, woe is me!

Then comes the thought as they lie wide eyed nervous... I should have taken the advice of the Consumer Credit Counseling Service.

They told me to budget. They suggested I save. Instead I just spent and continually gave.

I gave them my Visa, Master Card, my American Express. Oh, why did I go to such an excess?

They said, Set a spending limit for each person I knew, and when using credit cards, Use just a few.

They wanted me to shop while rested, and do at a leisurely pace, But I waited til the last minute. It seemed like a race.

They said, Exchange names between family and friends. Start new traditions so excessive gift giving ends.

They suggested I make gifts rather than buy. Now I'm in debt. I just want to cry.

A lesson can be learned from the tale told here. Start saving and plan early for next year!


 Author Unknown 

 It's hard to live with a degree of restraint when everything around us says to indulge. That's another good reason why we need to practice waiting.  Here at my house this year, as in many of the past, most of my gifts will be of the handmade variety.  I try to save for Christmas every year, but with so many to give gifts to my budget is limited. When you have a large family like mine, the greatest gift I can give is my love.



Keep a good heart. That's the most important thing in life. It's not how much money you make or what you can acquire. The art of it is to keep a good heart.

Joni Mitchell

ADVENT TIP:  Pick up a stone to carry in your pocket or place on your desk throughout these final days of Advent. Let it serve as a reminder for a moment of prayer for peace within, between and all around.


 May Peace be your gift at Christmas and your blessing all year through! 

Author Unknown.

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Good advice, for sure. You are so right about LOVE being the greatest gift of all.

Scrappy quilter said...

Good advice. I learnt years ago that I don't want to pay for this year's Christmas gift next year. At Christmas. My gifts are often homemade too..

jack69 said...

Ah, but something made with LOVE from mama or Grandma will not be thrown out, because the love in it never wears out!
You are a good egg lady. I know without a doubt you have a loving family, your life has been a good teacher no doubt.
Love from Florida, I too see the sun.

betty said...

You are right, Ma, love is the greatest gift of all; that and the gift of time, spending time with those we love, and I know you try to do that as much as you can!

betty