It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Chapter 12, Page 14, Book 14


I am ready any time. Do not keep me waiting. 

John Mason Brown

We all tend to get very impatient when we have to wait on someone.  When they are late, we tend to worry or wonder why.  But I’ve learned that everything happens for a reason.  There are many stories about those that have just missed an accident because they were running late.  

For years I ran a very tight ship here at my house.  In order to get everything done, schedules had to be kept.  Working and taking care of a house and family kept me so busy I rarely had anytime off for myself.    I laughingly now look back at those days because now nothing has to be done, nothing runs on a schedule and nothing is done in a hurry.

When I retired I decided it was time to sit back, rest, and enjoy life more.  I figure it’s a reward for many long years of work.  

Anyway back to the subject at hand.  Waiting on others to show up.  I learned that if I had to rely on someone else’s time schedule, I’d never be on time or get much done.  Other people’s timeliness or lack of it shouldn’t effect how I spend my days.

Focus on today and handle things as they occur. Know that what’s happened in the past is water under the bridge. Remember that what may happen in the future is, for the most part, out of your control. Live, happily, in the here and now. It’s the only way to thrive!


Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect. 

Oren Arnold

4 comments:

jack69 said...

Reading the forst quote I think of my BIL who says: REady? I was born READY!
And I couldn't help but think of a song on the "HIT PARADE" years ago on Sat. nite "you are a Slow Poke Dear"
Good entry. Sweet

Mevely317 said...

Great advice!
I can't tell you how many times I was (literally) pulling my hair in frustration over friends and loves ones' nonchalance about being on time. (Or not.)

betty said...

I liked that Oren Arnold's suggestions about gifts!

It is hard waiting for people who have a history of being chronically late; I know we've adjusted schedules to accommodate rather than get upset about it :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE it. Love it. That first quote by John Mason Brown 5562is perfect for my life. "I am ready any time. Do not keep me waiting."