It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Chapter 11, Page 9, Book 14


They say that a cardinal is representative of a loved one who has passed. When you see one , it means they are visiting you. They usually show up when you most need them or miss them most.  They also make an appearance during times of celebration as well as despair to let you know they will always be with you. Look for them, they'll appear.



I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me but I find I am grateful for having loved them. The gratitude has finally conquered the loss. 

Rita Mae Brown 

November is the month that I remember all those I have loved but who are no longer a part of my life.  Family and friends alike are gone but never forgotten.  I hold them deeply in my heart.  The good news is that I believe I’ll see them again.  The gratitude for having had them in my life does help to conquer the loss.

How we remember those who have died is always going to be personal. Whatever works for us is good. The one common link we all have is the loss and how we miss our nearest and dearest. The loss often goes beyond words.



The flowers pictured above were an anniversary gift from my DDH given many many years ago.  I’m so thankful that he gave me silk flowers rather than real ones, as I still have them to remember him by.  I put them out every fall.

Our nearest and dearest who have gone on before us, will always have a special place in our hearts. They will never be forgotten. May they rest in peace.


Today I’m thankful for:

2204. for prayer that calms and comforts




2205. for flu shots, I got mine, hope you got yours


2206.for surprises and interruptions, which often means I’ve a family to love


7 comments:

betty said...

Those silk flowers are beautiful, Ma! Great thinking on your DDH's part to do the silk rather than live flowers. I had heard that about cardinals when people see them, especially after loved ones pass. It is good to always remember our loved ones who passed before us and it is reassuring that we know with certain hope that we will see them again!

betty

jack69 said...

Good entry and Ms Brown is pretty danged close on this one, I like it:

I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me but I find I am grateful for having loved them. The gratitude has finally conquered the loss.

Rita Mae Brown

It has in some, and others I am still waiting. But that is such a good thought!
THANKS

jack69 said...

OH yeah, I meant to say I have never heard of the Cardinal thing, but now I have. sometimes just a reminder is all one needs!

Mevely317 said...

How my mother delighted in seeing the cardinal 'visit' her home in Florida! Now, I wonder if she knew of their meaning.
... It would be so lovely to see one in Arizona!

TARYTERRE said...

I love cardinals but had never heard this story about them. It brings me comfort knowing it now.

Jean said...

I love the Cardinals, but only heard about them after my son passed away; and my daughter in law put up a bird feeder right beside her deck. I was down there one day and it was covered with them. I do want believe that about them. Your flowers are so pretty.

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

I have heard that about Cardinals for many years, and I always talk to them (through the window) when they visit our feeders! They often come just exactly at the time I am thinking of someone we have lost. For me it brings a feeling of peace.