It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Chapter 10, Page 26, Book 14



An extra yawn one morning in the springtime, an extra snooze one night in the autumn… We borrow an hour one night in April; we pay it back with golden interest five months later

Winston Churchill

For me the clock change that is mandated by the end of daylight saving time is really the marker that a change in seasons has happened.  One week from today, Sunday, November 2nd,  daylight savings time officially ends and we go back one hour to standard time.  

I’ll be glad to get that hour of sleep back that was taken away in the Spring. It is  really not the acute shift in the clock that is the problem in the fall. It is all the short, gray days ahead and the long periods of darkness.   For a very few weeks after the time changes it’ll be daylight one hour earlier than we’ve grown used to, but it will also be dark one hour earlier too.  That doesn’t last long at all, but it is appreciated while it’s here.  As we shift into the cold, dark season, I’ll be trying to get as much light in the morning and throughout the day as possible, 

One of the gifts of the autumn time change is that, for some people, it encourages an earlier bedtime which allows the body added rest and repair time.  Our bodies do need that.  An extra hour, even if just for one day of the year, should be valued and used wisely.  And, what better way to use this extra hour than for some much needed self pampering.

It’s so very difficult to believe that October is almost over and very soon November will be here.  I thought that summer went by fast but I think September and October were in the running for first place.  

The leaves have completely fallen from the tree in the front curb lawn and many others are looking pretty bare too.  It’s time to make our homes the haven from the cold.  Good smells in the kitchen and cozying up with a good book.  

I hope those October eves  have treated you well, and cheers to what's to come.


6 comments:

Carol Z said...

Halloween next week, Thanksgiving is just a blip after that and before we know it it's 2015. I know I'm going fast, but I have a feeling the rest of the year will go that fast. I realized I need a new calendar soon. Have a great Sunday!

betty said...

I saw 2015 calendars for sale at the store the other day and then actually had to remember we are very close to 2015! I like the extra hour of sleep, but I'm not fond of the early dark evenings either, Ma, especially trying to find a place to walk Koda after I get off work at 5 o'clock and its already dark. But we manage :)

have a restful day!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

My hubby really suffers during this time of year. he does not do well with the darkness coming earlier. hard to believe it's almost 2015.

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

I had to delete the comment I had Sherry 'dripping by your blog, instead of dropping by it. (smile).

I have to defend myself to the Sherry of our home. Today she says,"Are you not reading MA?, WE are not commenting. Well she didn't say that exactly, just that I am not seeing your comment. She loves to drop by, she comments to me but not to you. HA! We both enjoy our visits here. When we were in Alaska I told her, it is good we don't live here I would work myself to death, having 24 hours of sunlight.
But she, like you logical ladies had to say, BUT then you would sleep all winter. haha
Enjoyed the visit. I am not thrilled with day light savings time, but I CAN live with it. LOL

Mevely317 said...

Since Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time, I'd almost forgotten! It's still sometimes confusing when I have to pause and ask myself if son-and-family and one or two hours ahead.

I'm probably the Lone Ranger out here, but I sort of miss those days of spring forward/jump back.