It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Chapter 10, Page 25, Book 14


The Value of a Smile

A Smile is nature's best antidote for discouragement.

It brings rest to the weary, 

Sunshine to those who are frowning, 

And hope to those who are hopeless and defeated. 

A Smile is so valuable that it can't be bought,
Begged, borrowed, or taken away against your will. 

You have to be willing to give a Smile away,
Before it can do anyone else any good. 

So, if someone is too tired or grumpy to flash you a Smile,
Let him have one of yours anyway. 

Nobody needs a Smile as much,
As the person who has none to give.... 

 Smile your smile for today...
Pass it on to someone...
Who needs some sunshine on a cloudy day... 

Remember,
No matter how bad it seems at the time,
It shall pass in a few moments,
And..... 

 A Smile is simply a frown upside down... 

So, stand on your head and look in the mirror... 

Once you see how silly you look... a frown turns into Smile...

Author Unknown


One of the blogs I read is Jack’s Shipslog.  He left a comment here on my blog last week that said:  We learned a tradition in Key West. Every evening for years folks would go to Mallory Square, a great view for the sunset. Soon folks were clapping as the sun set, just as they would after a great play or song. Now it is a great festival EVERY clear night, smiling and applauding at the beautiful sunset. 



I'm so glad my window looks east into the sun rising.... It's so splendid to see the morning coming up over those long hills and glowing through those sharp fir tops. It's new every morning, and I feel as if I washed my very soul in that bath of earliest sunshine. 

L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Well here at my house I’ve been smiling and applauding the sunrises here.  At this time of year the sun rising is a very special event.  I know it rises every day,  but actually seeing it is a cause for celebration for sure. Makes me think there is a party going on in the sky.  


Truly, were I every evening to depict sunrise, and every morning to see it, still I should cry, like the children, Once more, once more! 

Jean Paul Friedrich Richter

 We are entering the cloudy seasons of late fall and winter.  We really do have more cloudy days than not, and my little Happy has had a very slow time of it trying to  started each day, flapping his leaves here.  It’s often close to 10 o’clock before they move.  It doesn’t take the sun shinning to make them move, but it does take brightness in the sky.   Happy is solar operated for those that don’t know and flaps his leaves with the sunshine.


Needless to say I’m much like Happy, starting slow too.  I’m so thankful for days that sun shines!

Remember:  

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. 

James Matthew Barrie


5 comments:

jack69 said...

You make me smile. In my mind I refer to our flapping flower that Mary Ann gave us as 'Our Little Happy'. As I sit here I looked over at our little Happy. I see the leaveas flapping and also it's reflection in the windshield. That brought a BIG smile.
Love from the Eastern home of Minnie Mouse.
BTW..Thanks for the shout out!

betty said...

I like that tradition Jack wrote about with applauding the sunset! We are really applauding and celebrating the beauty God has made for us to enjoy!

We face more west with our house so we get to see the sunsets; this past week there were some gorgeous ones :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

"....a party in the sky."
What a great way to think about it!

This ditty about turning a frown upside down made me giggle. At my workplace we associates are to abide by something called the '10-foot rule' -- when within that space of a guest we're always to say 'Good morning' and smile. 12 years later, and I still find their reactions interesting.

TARYTERRE said...

Sunrises and sunsets are beautiful and bring much joy to those who witness them. Worth a smile for sure.

JeanJournal said...

I love your blog and all the comments today AS USUAL! ~ JeanJournal