It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, October 13, 2014

Chapter 10, Page 13, Book 14


Have you ever been out for a late autumn walk in the closing part of the afternoon and suddenly looked up to realize that the leaves have practically all gone? And the sun has set and the day gone before you knew it 

Hal Borland

Sometimes I see a quote that hits very close to home and the one above definitely did it for me.  The days are going by very fast.  It’s not that I don’t try my best to enjoy every single one of them, but before I know it, the sun has set and the day is gone.

The sun is setting earlier and earlier each day here at my house.  I expect most of you are experiencing the same thing.  I treasure the hours of daylight more and more as they decrease.  

I’m one who is very affected by the sun.  I don’t mean just that it is shining, that too, but that it’s light outside.  When darkness closes in I might as well say good night for I’m depleted of energy and just want to go to bed.  I rarely do that though as that would me retiring shortly after 7:30 in the evening and that is way too early to go to bed.  

More and more every year I fight this SAD disease.  Season Affective Disorder.  I hear lots of people talking about not being able to sleep.  But for me it is the opposite - my problem seems to be sleeping too much.  It seems like I go into hibernation.   In order to fight this problem, it’s recommended that people like me endeavor to get outside more.  Here that is often a problem as the days are getting colder too.  It’s easier for me to sit closer to windows indoors that provide plenty of light and sometimes even a bit of warmth when the sun is shinning.  

I’m reminded of when my dogs used to lay on a rug in sunlight that filters through my kitchen window.  They instinctively knew what to do.  I think I’ll be following that good example and do more of it too. 

Maybe I shouldn’t fight it, but just enjoy it.  A good sleep may be just what is needed. 

Anyone can carry his burden, however hard, until nightfall. Anyone can do his work, however hard, for one day. Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down. And this is all life really means. 

Robert Louis Stevenson

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE the Stevenson quote, as well as the first one you mentioned. It is so easy to go into hibernation mode in the cooler weather. I tend to sleep alot too. My daughter has SAD, like you and has found sitting with a special lamp on helps her. Hope you find some relief.

jack69 said...

I love it when I come here and you come up with something that hits me as hey THAT'S IT! Today it is:


I’m reminded of when my dogs used to lay on a rug in sunlight that filters through my kitchen window. They instinctively knew what to do. I think I’ll be following that good example and do more of it too.
****
You and Robert Louis S. GOOD
We have a beautiful day here in southern Florida on the banks of the Peace.
(Remember the times in your old RV park when you practically had the place to yourself? That is us here. (smile)

betty said...

I have to agree, Ma, maybe a good sleep is what is needed. I know it is hard are affected by the light like this to try to find light especially if the weather doesn't permit going outside. You are right the days are going by so fast!

betty