It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Chapter 10, Page 1, Book 14


Love is the one treasure that multiplies by division. It is the one gift that grows bigger the more you take from it. It is the one business in which it pays to be an absolute spendthrift. You can give it away, throw it away, empty your pockets, shake the basket, turn the glass upside down, and tomorrow you will have more than ever.

Author Unknown

Having the large family that I do I know for a fact that love does multiply.  Sometimes I feel like my heart is so full of it I could burst, but the truth is there is always room for more.

I love many people and many things but I’m always on the look out for more to love too. Right now I’m falling in love with October. It's a favorite time of year for many due to cooler weather and fall colors.

We’re starting another new month and this one is filled with all things pumpkin!   Whether they’re decorating sidewalks or getting roasted and made into soup or pies, the arrival of pumpkins is a welcome October event. The apples and pumpkins are ready for harvest. The air is crisp and leaves are falling



October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

 George Cooper, October's Party

I will be donning the orange, and feeling a bit like a pumpkin. Hopefully an elegant pumpkin, mind you, but a pumpkin nonetheless. Remember the fairy tale where Cinderella’s fairy godmother turns a pumpkin into a carriage to carry Cinderella to the ball. Cinderella must leave the ball before her ride turns back into a pumpkin. Leading to the expression turn into a pumpkin, meaning depart, go to bed or otherwise turn in for the night.

I’m turning into one much earlier these days.  The nights are definitely getting longer and for me that means early to bed.  My days of hibernation are getting closer and closer.

Hope you all have a happy October, my friends!

Bittersweet October.  The mellow, messy, leaf kicking, perfect pause
between the opposing miseries of summer and winter.

Carol Bishop Hipps


4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I'm feeling all the same things you are about October. It's a wonderful time of year, to be sure. LOVE that first quote in your post.

Elizabeth said...

Happy October ! It is my favorite month of the year!

Carol Z said...

In celebration of the fall I had a pumpkin muffin today. I could have had an apple, but I do like pumpkin treats. So far I've skipped the Halloween candy, which seems to be everywhere. I've been realizing that my hibernation time is coming, too, and I'm not looking forward to it. I've signed up for a class just a block away and that will be one evening out a week.

betty said...

I do hope it is a nice October for you, Ma, and that the weather is pleasant for you to enjoy some fall activities! So true that pumpkins are popping up all over the place; lots of people here getting their decorations out in anticipation of Halloween!

betty