It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, September 08, 2014

Chapter 9, Page 8, Book 14


Answered Prayer

I asked God for strength, that I Might achieve, 
I was made weak, that I might Learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy, 
I was given poverty, that I might be wise. 
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life, 
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for — but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most I don't know how to say it, 
but somehow it seems to me
That maybe we are stationed where God wanted us to be;
That the little place I'm filling is the reason for my birth, 
And just to do the work I do He sent me down to earth. 
If God had wanted otherwise, 
I reckon He'd have made Me just a little different,
of a worse or better grade. 
And since God knows and understands all things of land and sea, 
fancy that He placed me here just where He wanted me. 
Sometimes I get to thinking, as my labors review, 
That I should like a higher place with greater tasks to do; 
But I come to the conclusion, when envying is stilled, 
That the post to which God sent me is the post He wanted filled. 
So I plod along and struggle in the hope when day is through 
That I'm really necessary to the things God wants to do. 
For there isn't any service I can give which I should scorn, 
For it may be just the reason God allowed me to be born.

Edgar A. Guest


I tend to pray for a lot of things and I’d say many of my prayers have been answered in a similar way.  I do feel richly blessed too.  

I’ve learned that we shouldn’t focus on what we don't have, but to be grateful for the amazing gifts we’ve been given

I try to remember that it’s always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don’t.  Be productive and patient.  And realize that patience is not about waiting, but the ability to keep a good attitude while working hard for what you believe in. 



What you have today may become what you had by tomorrow.  You never know.  Things change, often spontaneously.  People and circumstances come and go.  Life doesn’t stop for anybody.  It moves rapidly and rushes from calm to chaos in a matter of seconds.  

Life is an adventure, and it will take us places we never thought we would or could go and enable us to do things we never thought we could or would do.  Faith isn’t easy, but it is fulfilling and even fun.  Keep the faith each day and enjoy life to the fullest.


6 comments:

jack69 said...

We visited one of our Grandsons in college a day or so ago. After 4 yrs of college, he is not sure of his life's directions, as I read this:

I try to remember that it’s always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don’t. *****

I thought that is exactly what I have tried to tell my sons and family. I love the way you worded it.THANKS.... We have RAIN!

Martha@SeasideSimplicity said...

All so true! I agree with jack69 too, that was a great way to word that and it's what I'm always telling my boys as they are just now trying to figure out what direction they will be taking in in life.

Carol Z said...

I wish I had taken this in when I was younger. I wanted so many things and too often didn't appreciate the bounty I had. I'm much less apt to do that now. My appreciation has grown by leaps in my recent years.

betty said...

I liked that Answered Prayer, because it is so true, our prayers don't get answered the way we think we might want them answered, but they do get answered for what God feels is best in any of our circumstances. I too like your thought of being at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb then at the top of one you don't. I need to be more patient about some things I do believe!

betty

linda m said...

I love the Poem Answered Prayer. It is so true Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

Life is indeed an adventure and you're right we never know which way things are going to go. We just have to find the way.