It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Chapter 9, Page 3, Book 14



You can't step into the same river twice for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Change is a constant for us.  As the river flows on, life continues; each minute, each day, each year is always new, and never repeatable. Our experiences and our decisions change the direction of our lives and in its turn this irreversibly changes us


The picture above is the Ohio River. Not long ago I was blessed to take a little trip along the Ohio River Scenic Byway.  It runs along Route 7 and follows the river.  We did the section between Marietta and Steubenville and there were a lot of historic sites to see.    Steubenville is also the birthplace of Dean Martin and I got my picture taken with a cardboard facsimile of him.  


As we traveled along the river I was reminded of all the changes that have occurred.  We visited a steamboat museum and heard about how our frontier developed as people and goods came down the river to settle this part of our great country.  Boats are not the same as they used to be but they still carry goods on the river.  We saw them pushing barges, probably loaded with coal.  On boat pushed a group of barges that was 3 deep and six long.  


We saw a fort that was built to protect settlers from the Indians and I was surprised to find out it was disbanded after only 8 months as they really didn’t need it.  


Going back in history is a great way to make you appreciate what you have today.  


You know a dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows.
And a dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes.
Trying to learn from what's behind you and never knowing what's in store
makes each day a constant battle just to stay between the shores.
And I will sail my vessel 'til the river runs dry.
Like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky.
I'll never reach my destination if I never try,
So I will sail my vessel 'til the river runs dry.
Too many times we stand aside and let the water slip away.
To what we put off 'til tomorrow has now become today.
So don't you sit upon the shore and say you're satisfied.
Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tides. 


Garth Brooks, song The River co-written with Victoria Shaw

7 comments:

linda m said...

I love exploring history. Blessings

jack69 said...

There is something about a river I love. Maybe it was reading Tom Sawyer. Good pictures today. Love the one of you and Deano, Probably my most favorite singer.
Good entry m'lady.
We heard out tomorrow, funny how an RV park empties out after Labor day.. Over cast but nice here.

betty said...

What a fun trip you took, Ma, with so much history attached to it! Cute picture with you and Dean Martin :)

So true that things are constantly changing and we just need to go with the flow sometimes :)

I hope Wednesday is a good one for you!

betty

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Great comparison between the river and a dream! And I love the photo of you with the Dean Martin picture!

Chatty Crone said...

Girl I see you there trying to hold Dean's hand! Loved him too. And changes are tough.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely pictures. I love exploring too. So fun when you find quaint places.

TARYTERRE said...

Love the line from the song, "
Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tides." You and Dean Martin make quite the pair. GREAT photo.