It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Chapter 9, Page 27, Book 14


For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you never walk alone.

Same Levenson, 1911-1980
American Teacher and Humorist

The end of September is a beautiful time of year here in northern Ohio.  We have the best of days.  Cool nights and warm afternoon.  One could almost believe it is still summer, but the chilly evenings remind us that cold weather is drawing near.

The beauty that surrounds us every day never ceases to amaze me.  I carry my cell phone in my pocket most of the time so when an opportunity to take a picture presents itself, I can snap the button and capture what ever sight has taken my fancy. That’s what happened the day I noticed that the sweet pea vines in the back yard were still putting on a pretty display.  That was just a few days ago and I’m sure if I walked around outside I’d find something else to catch my eye. 

It seems the beautiful and not the ugly is what appeals to us most.  Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not all beauty can be seen.  Just as the picture captured my attention, the same goes for the quote above.  How true these words are.  I especially love the last line where it states we should walk with the knowledge that we never walk alone.

The adventure of life is to learn. The purpose of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome. The essence of life is to care. The opportunity of life is to serve. The secret of life is to dare. The spice of life is to befriend. The beauty of life is to give. The joy of life is to love.


William Arthur Ward


4 comments:

jack69 said...

Love this description. We seldom see the Fall beauty anymore, but remember it with love.
About 3 times in the past 12 years we have ENJOYed Fall.
Looks like a good day to drive. Destination Melbourne, Florida today.

TARYTERRE said...

I like the cooler nights. LOVE the passage from William Arthur Ward. Even though I know the nature of life means change I find this the most difficult part of the cycle to accept.

betty said...

I too like that quote from William Arthur Ward. That is so true about the different aspects of life. Good idea too, Ma, to keep the cell phone handy for great picture taking opportunities :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

Great quote!
You're so right about the beauty that surrounds us every day. Just strolling from my car to the office each workday offers some startling sunrises and amazing vistas. While I don't pause to "wow" as often as I should, it saddens me sometimes to realize what I'm seeing will never replicate itself in exactly the same way again.