It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Chapter 9, Page 17, Book 14



Don’t ever take a fence down
until you know the reason
why it was put up.

Author Unknown


One function of fences is that they can represent a boundary.  They can also serve to keep things out, but at the same time they are keeping things in as well. 

Our boundaries enable us to manage our lives and not infringe on the lives of others. A fence, itself, isn't all bad, as it can stand for security. It can be an extremely functional object. But fences can sometimes become the dominate feature or features in our lives, power symbols that set boundaries, even artificial ones, that need challenging.



Good fences make good neighbors


Robert Frost 

4 comments:

jack69 said...

Robert Frost's poem of fences was covered in the 7th grade. Lots of truth in that piece.
I remember a childhood joke about the fence around the grave yard, "Something about a child wanting to know was it to keep us out or them in?"
Always an enjoyable place to visit, this is one place where I am glad there is no fence. THANKS

TARYTERRE said...

Unfortunately in our case, Mr. Frost's quote was not true. We put up a fence years ago, that our neighbors were not fond of. And they carried a grudge about it for a long time. So sad.

betty said...

I like Robert Frost's comment; in our case it is a good thing we have a fence on one side of our property as the next door neighbors have dogs than Koda is not fond of :)

betty

JeanJournal said...

I DON'T LIKE FEBCES ~ One day I fell in my yard and could not get up and a neighbor came and called my children to come, but I keep my doors locked when inside the house ~ JeanJournal