It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, September 12, 2014

Chapter 9, Page 12, Book 14


You may be good, but what are you good for?

Stephen R. Covey

There have been times that I’ve questioned myself and asked, what good am I?  I think we all have doubted ourselves at times and had feelings of inadequacy at some point in our lives.

All through the busy years as mom and a housewife, I rarely thought about it, but when my children all left home, I began to question just what my purpose in life was.  I guess the empty nest syndrome hit me big time.  I felt at a loss because all of the sudden there were no big meals to fix or anyone under my care.  I had the house to myself and it took time for me to adjust.  About the time I felt I’d adjusted, the grandchildren came along.  A new purpose had entered my life.

The thing I discovered during my adjustment period was that we can’t expect others to fulfill our purpose in life.  We need to base what we do on our own feelings of self worth and not on what others need from us.  The old saying that we should bloom where we are planted is so true.  Whatever circumstances we are in there is always a way to live a good life.

Like a flower that grows through a crack in the concrete, sometimes we have to make the best of our situations and bloom where we have been planted.  Even if you find yourself planted under some concrete at the moment, look for the crack in the concrete to find your way out.

And despite all odds, choose to bloom anyways.


The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Mother Teresa

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful ! Your post are always so uplifting and positive!

TARYTERRE said...

I love the old saying you quoted, "we should bloom where we are planted." I had never heard this and it's a nice thought.

betty said...

I like that you said Ma during adjustment times, we can't expect others to fulfill our purpose. That is so true! I think we all go through several adjustment times in our lives with young children, then children in school, then children leaving home, etc. It is good to bloom where we are planted indeed.

betty

jack69 said...

You do a good job of describing life.
Some folk live, but never know WHY. One MUST admire Mother Teresa, her smile a lone spells love. her words are usually SPOT ON!
Thanks...