It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Chapter 8, Page 31, Book 14


Don’t flatter yourself that friendship authorizes you
to say disagreeable things to your intimates
The near you come into relation with a person,
the more necessary to tact and courtesy become.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Rarely is there a time that a little tact and courtesy isn’t necessary.  I was taught that if you haven’t got something good to say that I shouldn’t bother saying it.  

It is way too easy, especially when we’re upset, to say derogatory things to people and yes, even to the ones we love.  Life is too short to crush someone with harmful words.  Once we say something, we can’t take it back.


Common courtesy should be a part of who we are and what we do, no matter the circumstances.  

Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson


6 comments:

Rose said...

So well said!

So many people lack common courtesy these days.

Love this Post.

Happy Labor Day!

betty said...

The pastor's sermon was kind of on this today, Ma, being careful to look over people's offenses and being careful with our words. Great reminder I do think!

betty

jack69 said...

OW Holmes should have sent me an e-mail in 1955 so I would REALLY KNOW THAT! (smile)
You are not quite old enough to remember the song:
"You always hurt the one you love, the one you shouldn't hurt at all, so if I broke your heart last night, its because i love you most of all." It was a great song to'smooch' to, but I have realized back in years gone by, it was too danged true..
NO LOVED ONE SHOULD BE HURT BY A HASTY WORD. Now instead of a hasty word, I replace it with a compliment 99% of the time. I feel much better.

Martha@SeasideSimplicity said...

I agree completely! So many people lack it these days too, it's a shame. Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

Carol Z said...

I find I bite my tongue a lot. I'm almost always sorry for things that fly out of my mouth, rather than things I've thought out.

TARYTERRE said...

being tactful is in short supply these days. No doubt about it.