It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 25, 2014

Chapter 8, Page 25, Book 14


Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.

George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Labor Day weekend is the unofficial end of summer, and this coming weekend we’ll be celebrating a final ‘hurrah’ to summer.  I can’t begin to tell you just how fast this summer went by.  

It is still very hot and humid here in my part of the world but it won’t be long at all before these days will fade away into nothing but a memory.  I saw that the farmer’s almanac is predicting another very bitter cold and snowy winter for our region.  This past winter was one to go down in the record books and I’m hoping another one like it won’t be happening at all.  Of course I have no say what so ever in that matter.  It isn’t something I can choose.  

So here I sit celebrating these glorious days.  We won’t be seeing them again for a very long time and even though the heat and humidity wilts me faster than anything, I love these days.  I’m not going to let these days pass me by without some days spent in the sun.

There is something deep within us that sobs at endings. Why, God, does everything have to end? Why does all nature grow old? Why do spring and summer have to go? 

Joe Wheeler

 Summer may be coming to an end but the joy of the season is still evident.  Here at my house the weekend will include a family get together as we’ll be celebrating one of my grandson’s 4th birthday.  It’s always good to be with family and I’ll be there to join in the fun.  Today’s picture is of his birthday last year at a nature park nearby.  The flowers were glorious!

Here’s a toast to the change of seasons, I’m very thankful for yet another reason to celebrate.


The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many.

 Oliver Wendell Holmes

4 comments:

Martha@SeasideSimplicity said...

Still sweltering hot and humid here in Florida but I'll take that over the cold any day! Enjoy your time with the family this weekend :)

betty said...

I too am amazed how fast this summer went, Ma! Can't believe its a week to Labor Day; seemed like we were just celebrating the 4th of July! I know you'll enjoy your birthday celebrating for your grandson with your family!

betty

jack69 said...

You say it so well lady. I am thinking back when SPRING & SUMMER were some of the most beautiful words in the world to a boy.
I still love them but the rest of the year now has great meaning, but I can REMEMBER, ah i do remember hating to see them go....
SWEET, Cool and sunny here on the east coast. (Looking at the Potomac every day, I don't think George threw a silver dollar across it.) (smile)

TARYTERRE said...

I'm right there with you hoping this upcoming winter will not be brutal like last winter was. Happy Birthday to your little one.