It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Chapter 8, Page 21, Book 14


Will you walk into my parlour?  said the Spider to the Fly,
 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
  The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
   And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
 For who goes up your winding stair
     -can ne'er come down again.
By Mary Howitt



LIFE IS LIKE…a Spider Web

The other day I read of human life described as a spider web: 

'If you touch it anywhere, you set the whole thing trembling - The life that I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place and time my touch will be felt. Our lives are linked. No man, no woman, is an island.


The gift of friendship with others is contagious. 

This analogy is much like the cobweb one, but the thinking here is about something totally different.  Here the spider webs are showing how we are all connected to each other.  And everything thing we do affects others.  We may not realize at the time just how that is, but it does.

Is it any wonder then that the web has become the name for our social networking on the internet.  The social networking Web site Facebook dot com was launched in 2004 as a way for college students to connect with each other online. It is now open to people of all ages, and currently there are an estimated 500 million users. Each user has an individual page with photos and personal details that can be viewed by friends.To friend a person means opening the door to communication and information about who you are, where you go, and what you do. Facebook friendships may be casual or committed, but each one is by invitation only.

To have a friend is a blessing.  To be a friend is to be doubly blessed.

I prefer my blog to express myself and consider my followers to be my friends.  Anyone can read this blog, you don’t have to be my friend, but if you read what I write and like it maybe you’ll want to be a follower.  I’d like to be your friend.


Be A Friend 

Edgar A. Guest  


Be a friend. You don't need money;
Just a disposition sunny;
Just the wish to help another
Get along some way or other;
Just a kindly hand extended
Out to one who's unbefriended;
Just the will to give or lend,
This will make you someone's friend.

Be a friend. You don't need glory.
Friendship is a simple story.
Pass by trifling errors blindly,
Gaze on honest effort kindly,
Cheer the youth who's bravely trying,
Pity him who's sadly sighing;
Just a little labor spend
On the duties of a friend.

Be a friend. The pay is bigger
(Though not written by a figure)
Than is earned by people clever
In what's merely self-endeavor.
You'll have friends instead of neighbors
For the profits of your labors;
You'll be richer in the end
Than a prince, if you're a friend.

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I love that we are blogging friends. Friendship is a gift and so precious. So glad I have friends.

jack69 said...

A friend just touched my life today. She sent a sweet poem that her granny (who just passed) had written. So much in the style of Edgar Guest (one of my most favorites!)
Love this entry sweet lady. You do touch a lot of lives.
We made it to Virginia with no problems, settled in a nice park 6 miles from G.Washington was born.
Take care.. Looks like rain.

betty said...

I love the web of friendships I've made through blogging, like my friendship with you, Ma :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I like the web and the friendships it has helped forge with all my blog buddies.